Chapter 7

Every authority was on high alert inside and around Genovia. Too much attacks all over the world, be it terrorism or not. According to the British border authorities, William Johnston was last seen in London while taking the Eurostar right after the murder attempt. He was now somewhere in France, but too bad for him, French polices and army weren't in the mood to let a wanted and potential murderer walk free as a bird on their territory. Unlike terrorists he was an easy target, he had help his sister out of desperation, he didn't have any bad past, he wasn't a "professional" per se.

Dennis decided to go to Genovia to give the latest news personally and if he was lucky, the news everyone was expecting impatiently. It was only a matter of time before Mr. Johnston was apprehended, a couple of days at best. It was just the perfect excuse to come to the palace. He only wanted to see Alexandra and give her her papers when her mission would be officially over. She was so much more to him than one of his best agents.

- Could you let us, please? He asked Alexandra.

She glanced between the Queen and Dennis suspiciously and hummed her agreement before leaving the little living room where her boss and Amelia were seated comfortably.

- You've made quite the impression on my little one, he said.

- I'm not sure what you are talking about, she said trying desperately to be convincing.

- With all due respect your Majesty, you would have made a terrible agent if you're that bad at lying, Dennis chuckled.

Amelia blushed furiously and stood up to mask her embarrassment.

- Well, I'll be completely honest then, she said avoiding his eyes. I'm only mirroring said impression. She's... different.

- That she is.

- I don't know if you've had time to talk when you arrived here, she said, composing herself by changing the subject, but Lionel wants to step back from his duty as head of the security because his wife is pregnant and... Well, to make a long story short, since his brother has died he aspires to a less demanding and dangerous job. He proposed the job to Alexandra but she doesn't seem too keen to the idea. Maybe you could talk to her about it, she finished hesitantly.

- And you think she could be the right person for that position? He asked, observing the Queen.

- Of course!

- Despite the... connection you two are sharing?

- We're both reasonable adults and there is nothing between us so, again, of course, Amelia huffed in exasperation.

- I can see why she likes you, Dennis smirked knowingly.

Amelia looked at him with wide eyes at hearing his words.

- You seem surprised, he said raising an eyebrow. You shouldn't be. My assistant, Mary, really hates you, you know, he added as he stood up to come closer to the Queen.

- Mary?... Amelia said with a raised eyebrow, a glimpse of jealousy shadowing her eyes.

- Alexandra has left her the morning of the attack, and today they would have celebrated their seventh anniversary. So believe me, he said patting her shoulder, don't be surprised. I'll talk to her about Lionel's position.

Then he left the living room without waiting for any kind of answer. He didn't let Alexandra come back in as he took her by the arm to talk to her. He just let the door open for safety. To say that Amelia was left speechless would be an understatement. She was bewildered, overwhelmed even. Alexandra has left someone she shared her life with for almost seven years. For her? That was too good to be true. Amelia really needed to find her mother.