Chapter 14

IMPOSSIBLE

Temper had stayed up almost all night with those thoughts on her mind. She had a feeling things were going to get worse soon. 

If they had found her once, they could easily find her again, there was no doubt in her mind. And now they were after Nick too, which only made the entire situation worse. At least he had figured out how to fight a little better, even if it meant they had to escape instead of fight. Sometimes the best move in a fight was not to fight at all. 

She grabbed some food and found him awake when she got back. "We have to go," she said. "I'm sure Chrissie and John are probably still looking for us."

He nodded, shouldering his pack. 

They set off walking quickly and quietly. For a few days, everything was fine, but of course that wouldn't last. 

At some point on the third day Temper noticed Nick put his hand on her arm to stop her. She turned slightly to face him. He was looking around suspiciously. 

She had sensed them too, but was hoping it was just paranoia. 

"So you found us again huh?" she said quietly. 

Out of the shadows stepped Chrissie and John, but another man was with them. He was a tall guy dressed entirely in black. His face looked almost elvish and slim, like he was constantly sneering. Something about him was incredibly familiar to Temper, though she couldn't place her finger on it. 

"You kids have been running enough," said the man. His voice was like a snake, slithering and silky. 

"Do you remember me little Temper?" he said. 

Temper knit her eyebrows and Nick asked, "You know him?"

"Do you?" she asked him. He was extremely familiar, but she was still having some trouble remembering. 

Nick nodded as he adjusted his stance. It felt odd to have him leaning over her shoulder with his height. 

"He worked for SPA. We weren't in the same group or anything, so I don't know too much about him. But I do know he had the power to transport himself and other people."

Temper's eyes widened as something clicked in her head. 

The man laughed. "You remember me now Tempie?" She scowled at the nickname. "Let me remind you." The man cleared his throat and said, "You'll do nicely."

Temper stepped back as she realized he was suddenly right in front of her holding her wrist. She recognized him immediately, berating herself for ever forgetting his horrible voice. 

With a breath, she spewed magma all over the man. He transported himself away before it could hit him, standing on the other side of the magma. 

The guy laughed. It was the same guy who had kidnapped Temper. The same guy who hit her repeatedly when she was held captive. 

She didn't know how she had managed to use her magma, but that was the last thought on her mind. 

Temper swallowed, feeling like a frightened little kid again. Her only thought was to get away, but her instinct told her she had to fight. She didn't know what to do, but forced herself to regain control of her emotions with difficulty. 

There was a hand on her back and Temper flinched. "I'll get us away Temper. Don't worry," said Nick. 

"Not this time kids," said the man. After all these years Temper still didn't know his name. 

"You'll be where I put you." The man reached out his hand and Nick grabbed onto Temper's arm, trying to get her away before they could be teleported. It was too late.