Chapter 4: Beginning of the End for Sanity

~Persephone~

When I entered the TV room, Ian was sitting calmly and channel surfing. As I sat next to him, he turned it off and looked at me. I looked away, aware of what he probably wanted to ask.

“Who’s the guy in the portrait in my room?” he actually picked the room that was Leo’s…this boy is something else.

“He is Leocedes,” I say softly. “He’s my…Soul Mate.” I look away from him, trying to keep my emotions in check.

“So you do know what it means to love,” he says jokingly.

“I also know what it means to lose the one I love because we were both being stupid,” I turn and frown at him before stalking out of the room and into my study.

Now for a little history on my turbulent relationship with a certain man who I seem to be stalking in my own realm. If I had a choice, I wouldn’t, but my aunts really love torturing me.

***

Five millennia ago, Greece.

Minding my own business, I walked through the crowded Athenian marketplace, looking at random objects and pretending I wasn’t being stalked by a bunch of dark mages. Ducking behind a particularly big stall, I pushed my hair over my shoulder and peeked around the corner. They stood eerily still, scanning the crowds intensely for me. With a wicked grin, I crept away, knowing they could follow me through a shadow portal.

When I’d gotten far enough, I bought a dark shawl from a vendor and covered my head, bowing it as if I was actually a demure Athenian woman. Unfortunately for me, a commotion up ahead made it almost impossible for me to move forward. With a hiss of frustration, I tried to get to the wall, where I could stay out of the way.

Just then, a giant idiot crashed into me, knocking me off my feet and onto my bottom. Needless to say, I was not impressed and almost turned him to ash. Instead, I huffed and stood up, dusting off my dress as he did the same. “My deepest apologies, I didn’t mean to-“he stopped in midsentence and I finally looked up into his deep blue eyes. Noise was drawing closer to us, probably some guards or something, and my assailant looked petrified. With a sigh, I took his hand and lead him into an alleyway and through to another street. I walked slowly, to avoid attention, my hand feeling oddly secure in his.

When I was sure our respective stalkers weren’t following, I let him go and made to walk away. Until, that is, he grabbed me by the wrist and forced me to turn around. With a look I reserved for my twin, I broke his hold and twisted his arm behind his back until he was begging for me to stop. “Never touch me again, you insolent whelp,” I muttered in his ear before letting him go and continuing on my way.

Much to my detriment, he wasn’t all that fast on the uptake and followed me. “Hey, wait!” rolling my eyes, I turned into a courtyard and sped up.

Leave me alone, I whispered in his mind, and I could feel his shock as he came to a standstill. I disappeared into the crowd, with my pursuer finally left behind. I smiled to myself as I reached my villa, surprising my guards immensely. “Lady, we were so worried-“

“Save it,” I said as I headed inside. “We all know you’re just afraid of what my father may do to you.”

When I reached my room, I kicked off my sandals and fell on the bed with a sigh. Then my companion, another dark mage named Theseus, made an appearance and my peace was ruined. “What were you thinking? Someone could have hurt you-“

“I went through the same training as you, so stop talking shit. I can handle myself, I do not need guards to watch my every move,” I say, sitting up and pulling at my hair. “We both know I’m infinitely more powerful than you, so even if someone managed to incapacitate me, I’d still fight.”