Chapter 13: We're All Probably Demented

~Scarlet~

I fall to my knees as a wave of power emanates from Persephone’s body. I’m not sure if she’s dead or if the Destroyer is defeated, but Lilith’s body materialises below hers, so she must have managed something and then probably became distracted.

Though her form returns to normal colouring and her hair stops waving in non-existent wind, I can feel that something is off. I raise my head, searching the shocked faces around us for the one that would matter most to her. And that face isn’t there.

Instinctively, I know it hasn’t been there from the beginning.  He always did have odd timing, even for a demigod.

I’m not sure if Leo had known about this, but when I get my hands on him, he’s going to wish he’d never left her in the first place. Ian’s hand reaches for me, and I take it, slowly rising to my feet with one last look at her before I turn my gaze to my impromptu rescue party. Everyone around us seems frozen to the spot, unable to take their eyes off of Persephone’s body. Rolling my own, I walk over to Lilith and encase her limbs in ice. I’m not sure if she can die for real or not, but I’m not willing to take the chance, yet.

That and the deeper down parts of me still want to kill her, so it’s kind of the only payback I’m going to get right now. The other members of my weird little rescue party are standing around, some of them seriously wounded. Sighing, I walk over to the one mermaid, who is gripping her midsection as if to keep its contents from spilling out. Ian stays where he is, his eyes on his half-sister.

 I gently push her until she’s lying down, pulling her arms away to assess the damage. “What’s your name?” I ask, trying to distract her until I see the extent of the damage. I hiss in sympathy as her hands edge away, resting by her sides. I lift the thin fabric of her shirt, noticing how much of her translucent blood is running down her sides.

“Delilah,” she whispers as she winces in pain. Holding my hand above her, I send warm water into the wound to clean it, feeling it move to check for other wounds while I’m at it.

“Okay, Delilah, this next part is going to leave you numb enough for me to send you to Atlantis for medical attention. Do you understand?” she nods and I pull all the warm water from her body, pooling it on the outside and then freezing it, watching the ice make small patterns over her blue skin. She closes her eyes as I motion to the other water elemental. “Take her to Atlantis and tell them it’s already been cleaned, she just needs the coral, okay?”

The coral in question is a magical substance that basically heals any mer-person in an instant no matter the extent of their wounds. That is, if the unfortunate patient can make it to the one place they give it out in time.

I drag a nail in mid-air, opening a portal to the hospital and usher them through, turning to see who else is injured. And of course my eyes just have to meet those of Gabriel; I didn’t even know he was here. I don’t want to know that he’s here either.

Thankfully, he’s not the one injured, though his shirt is off to stem the blood-flow from one of his underlings, who seems to have been stabbed in the shoulder. Sighing, I get to my feet and walk over to him, ignoring my ex-boyfriend and focusing all my attention on his rather delectable friend.

“Move your hand,” I say to the wolf in a tone none of them can ignore, and he instantly obeys. I pull the shirt off, narrowing my eyes at the half-healed cut which is leaking blood mixed with black demon poison. Sighing, I sink to my knees and hold my hand over his shoulder, feeling through the many liquids beneath my palm for it so I can get it all out before trying to heal him.

I can feel Gabriel’s eyes on the back of my neck, watching everything I do because he seems to think I’m enough of a bitch to let one of his comrades’ die. Rolling my eyes, I just keep working, drawing the poison out and into a ball just behind the unfortunate wolf. “Try not to move, the poison is just behind you,” I whisper and he barely nods.