Chapter Four - I Will Put On The Kiddie Lock.

CHAPTER FOUR - I Will Put On The Kiddie Lock.

"So," said Jack, pausing to take a bite of his pizza, "What are we going to talk about during this painfully awkward lunch?"  

Ella rolled her eyes.  

"Jack, it wasn't awkward until you made it awkward."  

"Was too."  

"Was not."  

"Was too."  

"Was too."  

"Was not."  

Jack burst into laughter. Ella scowled at him, turning her head away, only to glance at a very amused Brigid.  

"Oh, come on Ellie. It's just a wee joke," Jack wheezed out, still curled up from laughing so hard.  

All Ella did was huff, and edge even further away from him, scooting over to the end of her seat.  

But she wasn't quick enough, for Jack simply looped his arm around her, and hauled her back over to him, squishing her up against his side. Ella's cheeks heated up pretty fast, till she was sporting a full on tomato red blush.  

Brigid winked. Ella scowled.  

Suddenly, the chorus of bells was to be heard as the school bell went off, signaling the end of lunch and start of the last period.  

Ella scooted away from Jack, picking up her red cardigan, and giving Brigid and Jack a quick wave as she left for class.  

Honestly, she thought to herself, what has happened to me?  

***  

Ella barely managed to make it through her last class, her eyelids drooping and her head leaning on her arm for support. If had been a long day, and man, she just wanted to curl up at home and rest.  

As the final bell rang, she stood and trudged out of the classroom, groaning at the memory telling her she still has to walk home.  

"Need a ride?"  

Her head snapped up, to thank the god who was offering her a ride, and then her face twisted, into a not-so-flattering scowl.  

"No thanks, Jack."  

She stalked off, her head in the air.  

At least, until she tripped over absolutely nothing and was sent plummeting into the gravel.  

All she did was lie there for a while, her cheeks burning with humiliation.  

That was, until she felt a hand come to rest at the small of her back, and another hooked under her knees.  

As Jack picked her up, she hissed at him.   "What in the name of fudgeballs are you doing?"  

He grinned.  

"I'm picking you up, obviously. Now, we are going to go over to my truck, you are going to get in, and I am going to give you a ride home."  

"I am capable of walking myself, you know," Ella retorted.  

"No, not really," Jack grinned. "Did you not just see yourself totally faceplant?"  

And with that, he proceeded to lug her over to his red truck, set her down in the seat, and strap her in before she could clamber back out.  

"Now stay," he warned. "Or I will put on the kiddie lock."  

Ella slouched into her seat, making a small "hmmmmph" sound fall from her lips. She stared out the window,  anywhere but at Jack, who was climbing into the driver's seat, staring at her in an amused kind of way.  

Until he turned on the radio, and her favourite  song came floating into her ears.  

"Say what you wanna say, and let the words fall out. Honestly, I wanna see you be brave..."  

She stared at him, wide eyed.  

"You like Sara Bareilles?"  

He glanced at her, smiling.  

"Yes! Of course!"  

The tension immediately eased off, and Ella found herself chatting to Jack about everything and anything all the way back to house.   As the arrived at her house, she smiled at Jack, reluctantly opening her car door and stepping out.  

"Thanks for driving me home."  

"No worries," he said, shooting a lazy grin at her. "Any time."  

Ella bit back a blush that was fighting to get onto her cheeks. She finally turned around,  and headed to the door. As she got in, she shut the door, leaning against it.  

Her eyes fluttered shut, as a small smile graced her lips. Oh, the things that boy did to her.  

"ELLA WHERE IS MY FRANGIPANI PERFUME?"  

Definitely time to snap back to reality.