Chapter XII- French Dinner

I went straight for my room after class. I looked at Patrick’s condominium door before entering mine. I heard no piano. Maybe he’s not home. I want to knock and ask him what’s up. But rather, I went to my room and turned my Mac on. I was continuing my Wattpad story when someone is calling me on Skype. It’s Amanda. I hurriedly answered it with excitement. The video call started and I could finally see her face.

“Am!” I shout in joy.

“Hi, Ika! How are you?” she asked.

“I’m fine. I just went home a few minutes ago. I miss you!”

“I miss you too. Hey, so, how’s life?” she asked. For some reason, I think she’s not in the mood. Like something’s bugging her.

“B, what’s wrong? Tell me.” I asked.

“Nothing, really. I just miss you.”

“Aww. B, I miss you too. I am so looking forward to see you.”  I told her. She smiled at me, and I could see some tears about to fall from her eyes.

“Oh B, don’t cry, please. We’ll see each other soon!” I said, trying to cheer her up.

“Yes, yes. So, why aren’t you online lately? You seem busy.” Am asked.

“Well, I met this guy.” I directly opened the topic. There’s no way I’m keeping her any secrets, especially this one.

“His name’s Patrick.” I added. She smiled, but she seems like she’s only forcing it.

“Then what comes next?” she asked, impatiently. What’s wrong with this woman? I didn’t ask. I just went on with my story and told her everything that happened.

“He seems sweet.” She says. She sounds sarcastic, unhappy. It’s really shocking. It’s like, I’m talking to someone I don’t know.

“Yes, yes indeed.” I smiled. I wanted to show her how happy I am, even though her reactions make me unsteady.

“Good for you. Baby, I got to go. Miss you!” Before I could even wave goodbye, she was gone. I took a deep sigh, and turned my Mac off. I took a book and went for my bed. I was about to start reading when someone rang my doorbell. I ran outside, hoping it’s Patrick. I opened the door with a big smile, but someone else is out there. Someone I wouldn’t want talking to till my brother shows up again. My father.

“Dad.” I said. He smiled at me, but I cannot even force a smile. I don’t know what to say. I don’t want him telling me anything about me running everything with the business.

“Ika. Would you mind letting your father in?” He asked.

“Oh. Right. Come in dad.” I moved backward, and he stepped in. He sat on the couch and I notice him looking around the place.

“What would you like? Coffee perhaps?” I asked.

“You don’t have any beer do you?” He laughed. He knows I’ll never have one of those. But he doesn’t know that I go to bars.

“Coffee then?” I asked. I went to the kitchen without waiting for his answer.

“Nice place, baby. Guess you don’t need maids after all. Who washes the dishes?” He asked. I went towards him and hands him his coffee. He smelled it, and tasted it.

“Wow.” He expressed. “I never thought you could make coffee.” He is giggling, but he’s serious about it.

“I’m growing up dad.” I forced a smile.