Part 1

-Maria Hart-

(Present time- 18-year-old Maria)

I pressed my back against the cold sand as I watched the sun rise, it was early morning and I found myself in my usual spot at Lipton Beach, listening to the waves crash against the shore.

A place I referred to as my home instead of the actual brick house that felt more like a prison than a safe place, a place I hadn't returned to for about six months.

"Do you often lay half naked on the beach at the crack of dawn?" a masculine voice asked making me jump, I sighed looked up at the guy who now stood over me with a grin.

I stood up remembering that I was only wearing my bra and some shorts that could barely be classed as appropriate clothing, shorts my mother would disapprove of, "You must be new around here either wise you would know the answer to that question" I shrug looking at him as I wipe the sand off of my skin.

"I've been in town about two weeks now and come to surf every morning this is the seventh time I've seen your kombi parked in the lot and your body pressed against the sand" he responds making me smirk as I look back at my light blue kombi.

"How'd you know the little kombi was mine?" I ask curiously.

"I may have also seen you getting changed in the van" he shrugs a small grin showing on his face.

I suddenly felt exposed as I brought my walls up, "why did you move here?" I ask changing the subject heading towards my van aware that he was following me as I opened up the boot revealing a mattress, blankets and way to many pieces of clothing.

"Oh my dad got transferred here, he works with New Hope Publishing as an editor" he states, I hide my shock as I respond.

"New Hope Publishing is a great company," I say blankly not going to straight up tell him that, that company was owned by my parents who had more money than they needed.

"You been in this town your whole life?" the guy asks.

"Unfortunately" is all I say grabbing a shirt from the van to pull over my bra, "I'm Maria by the way, most people call me Moody though" I state shaking my head deciding I might as well introduce myself.

"I'm Ethan, Moody?" he questions.

"You'll figure it out," I say, "Anyways school starts in a few hours and if I'm late one more time I'm going to be suspended" I add heading to the drivers' side of the car.

"Lovely meeting you Maria" he calls as I drive away heading towards the camp cabins where I had placed myself after being unable to live in the same house as my overbearing parents and overprotective older brother.

I quickly hopped in the shower before throwing on whatever clothes I could find, making an outfit that consisted of black, high-waisted shorts, a white crop top, black converses finished off with my beloved leather jacket that had my initials on the back, I threw my naturally long blonde hair into a high ponytail before making my way to school.

As I entered school grounds all eyes watched as I parked in my usual place which was closest to the school entry, everybody knew not to park in my spot. I pulled up and hopped out of the car aware that as usual the whispers began.

"I heard that she got so drunk, Drake found her behind the club in her van with about four other strangers"

"I heard that she was so consumed by drugs she mistook some stranger for you know who and began screaming at her"

I shook my head as I made my way around the school greeting my best friend Drake who had a smoke waiting for me, "same time as usual Moody" he says handing me his smoke before lighting another one, I take it gratefully having a few puffs before speaking.

"I may be a mess Drake but I'm a mess who is never late," I say as we laugh leaning against the side of the school away from people.

"Did you hear what..."

"Yes Drake I heard what they were saying and as usual I will remind you that what they say does not affect me what so ever" I lie blatantly, lying was something I had become good at.

"You could always defer from school for a year or more Maria come back when things are lighter," he says making me growl.

"It's been four years Drake, it's not going to get easier" I snap, "I need to go to my locker" I say under my breath putting out my smoke as I head into the school keeping my head down.

I was letting my thoughts wonder when I bumped into someone, "stay out of my way" I growl walking away when I hear head cheerleader Brittany Smith speak.

"You'll have to ignore Moody, Ethan she's got a messed up life" I feel my chest tighten as I look back to see the same guy I had run into earlier this morning, he was looking at me curiously as I shook my head walking away from them and towards my locker.

I didn't need any distractions right now, especially some guy getting in my way