Chapter 5 : his Arrival

Lola's POV

Some hours before dawn,I began to feel thirsty, I felt too lazy to get water in the kitchen. On a normal day there is always a bottle of water on my bedside table but today of all day that I had beans for dinner which always make me thirsty in the middle of the night, I forgot to replace the bottle of water.

With my eyes half closed I literally dragged myself to the dinning room  where the fridge that contained water. I didn't bother to turn the light on since I was familiar with the setting of the house. I was about to go to my room when I noticed a silhouette of a man in the kitchen through the moonlight. It made my heartbeat rise, beads of sweat formed on my forehead, at the same time sweat tricked from my neck down my back and my drowsiness dissipated.

I looked around to find something I could use against him. I was tempted to use the fruit tray on the dining table then my eyes caught the wall frame. I tiptoed to where it was hung, removed it and then further tiptoed to the kitchen sink which the man was leaning on, without wasting time, I hit the frame on his head and blood ooze out. The man gently sat on the floor. There was no sound from him so I assumed he passed out, I ran out of the kitchen, locked the door from outside and call the security man.

All the noise must have woken mum because I heard her voice calling my name from the stairs. I couldn't even answer her because my breathing was uneven, I ran into her arms and she embraced me, without breaking the hug she turned the light on and led me to the sofa.

Within few seconds, the security man on duty and the guard was in the living room.
“ What happened ” the security man asked me but due to the fact that my breathing was still uneven I couldn't say anything, I just pointed to the kitchen door and he went there.

The man walked out of the kitchen with the help of the security man and gateman. He was in his singlet, his shirt was wrapped on his head.
As soon as mum saw them walk in she rushed to his side to also help him.
The man looked familiar but I couldn't put my finger on who he was.
The guard went to fetch the first aid box and mum kept on asking him what he was doing at home in the middle of the night without informing her. The man remained mute, his head was on the headrest while his right palm was on his forehead and his eyes closed.
It was when mum was trying to get him to talk that I realised the man I thought was a thief is actually her son Femi who lived in Canada with his wife.

I folded my hand on my lap and stared at them.
The thought of something bad happening to him made shiver run down my spine, " How could I have hurt the son of the woman who showed me unconditional love for about four month "

Soon the doctor came in, the security man and guard moved him to the  room on the ground floor for comfort.

I observed everything while sitting, I couldn't even move to assist or say anything.

I noticed mum was coming towards me but I couldn't summon courage to look at her so I bow my head.
Mum lifted my chin with one finger so that I could look at her.
“ You shouldn't blame yourself for what happened, it wasn't your fault ” she assured me.
Now go to your room and get some rest.

Throughout the day I tried my best not to run into Femi. Although, it was not that hard to avoid him since he was confined to his bed because of the injury.
I could not bring myself to face mum also, I had my breakfast and dinner in my bedroom and when I left for school I didn't bother to let her know.

" How could I have harmed the only relative she has, upon all the things she has done for me " I think out loud.

“ Like I said earlier, it wasn't your fault and you should not stress your brain over it. The same way he is my son, you're also my daughter ” mum's voice nudged me out of my trance.
I was surprise to see her in the middle of my room. I didn't even notice when she came in.

“ You shouldn't be too surprise to see me in your room, if not for the fact that you were too engrossed in your thought you would have noticed when I came in” she replied.

Please vote and comment, Thanks.
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
    ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
        ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★     
            ★★★★★★★★★★★★
                ★★★★★★★★★★
                    ★★★★★★★★
                        ★★★★★★
                            ★★★★
                                ★★
                                  ★