Chapter 1: People, Place, Things

Its nights like these that have overcast of clouds of heartbreak in the luminous sky. Its nights like these that carry the memories of simultaneous joy and pain within the whistles of the wind. Life has been a hard journey, and the hardest component of Life is that Life is not over yet. The second hardest component of Life is the one component that keeps Life active-Love. Many believe this, and many are connected to the idea as if it is idealism manifested to a truism.

Ian Williams is a man that has lived his entire Life with the notion of all of the lessons that were taught to him as a child, were to lead him into a Life of reward and recognition. These rewards and honorable mentions would not be from other people, but from within himself. "No good deed goes overlooked" is a phrase that Ian strongly believes. He would contemplate this by thinking of exactly who determines the good deeds' veracity; and does the same examiner determine if the good deed is even looked at; more so, how much and what reward is deserved for the deed; and further still, is the deed in fact a good deed? There is much that he contemplates and considers on the roof of his two-story house. Ian was always a person that never really took chances. He always took the cautious path. The way of Life that Ian has chosen has rewarded him with present day wanting and belonging for things that he has never had, but has always wanted. He has always been an observer of sorts. Children playing outside his house in the street would send him back to times of his youth. The days that would seem to never end, and the nights that would always be an invitation for rebellion. The sounds of those children bring him back to a time when friends were more important than family. And family vacations were something to look forward to. Life was simple, and grown ups were complicated in Ian's world of reminiscence. These children help him recall a time that worries in Life consisted of when to meet to play, homework, and when the next meal will come. Ian thinks of all this while on the roof of his house outside his window-a window that would look no better or worse laying on a pile of garbage at a sanitation landfill. Having to go through such a window is a constant metaphorical reminder of getting through ugly and hopeless times to reveal scenery that can take your breath away. It would seem that everything outside of the less than attractive window would be this way. Somehow, Ian always knew this. He sits without a chair, pillow, or blanket-without luminescence or visual aid. Ian sits. The roof that Ian has chosen to sit is of perfect geometrical competence. The shingles lay to give the roof the title and functions of a roof. There are no wear or tears on it. The slant of the roof at which it is built could not be asked for a more appropriate angle. There seems to be no risk involved with the use of the roof for Ian's thinking. The ocean in the distance captures his every being and actions every time. The feeling that the view of the ocean gives him is the same feeling that has fled him so long ago on similar conditions, but only during the day. The sound of the tide is a calming yet startling one. Although the darkness of the world has blanketed over the eyesight of Ian, he sees, feels, hears, and therefore, knows the presence of the ocean; much like, the feeling that a mother has for her child when she decides to exercise mother's intuition. It is a feeling of undeniable warmth and pain. Much of Ian's Life has been filled with such emotions. For Ian, aspects of his Life are never black or white, hot or cold, wrong or right. He lives in a world of circumstantial consequence and binary oppositions. Contemplating will always be his past time, and that roof will always be his sanctuary. Ian was never a man that would take anything at face value. He would have an attitude of reading into things, and giving the benefit of the doubt to complete strangers. He always gave second chances to those that have done him wrong in the past. This will soon prove mistakes that Ian has never learned. Contemplating Life has always been an activity that has never taken a special time in the day for Ian. Thinking about Life is just a normal chore for him; much like feeding the pets or taking out the trash. It is routine for Ian's day. For Ian Williams, Love has always found a way to come into his Life and tease him. Love has always found a way to act like it will stay, but then at the last minute, at the minute of acceptance and full fledged commitment, Love snatches away all reward and regard for Ian. Is this the fate of him? Is this the fate to live a Life that Love will never stick around long enough for Ian to enjoy its presence? Is the temporary and "quick fix" Love the route that Ian must take? The story of Ian Williams is a roller coaster of Love, Pain, and Emotion. Let us begin.