11| milady

Faun Iiselon ran, for his life depended on it. What he just witnessed would haunt him for the rest of his life. Never had he ever seen a person burn to death. Shot in the head, a sword through the chest, or maybe alcohol poisoning, but nothing as slow and painful as Bart's fate. His screams had paralyzed him where he stood, fearing his last moment alive was a breath away. The stench of Bart's burning flesh formed a lingering gag in his throat and when the girl – hands on fire- attacked Pona then turned to him...

No. No. It was not his time to die.

He ran and ran, refusing to look back. But after a mile or so, he remembered his foolish master. Well, partner. He hated that word since as of late he had become his Giider apprentice. If only he knew, training to be a portaller would get this dangerous. Was the fool alive? He slid to a halt and caught his breath, heart clawing at his ribcage.

He glared his ice blue eyes at the direction he came and combed a hand through his sweaty white hair. To his dismay, he needed Pona Deapor. Not because he was his only ticket off this loud, fast-paced, god-forsaken realm, but because failure was not an option, especially, now that he faced something bigger than himself. The Divine Prophecy was coming to past and of all moments in his entire life, he's on the wrong side of it.

"Krushca," he cursed. He got himself together and jogged back.

He slowed his pace hearing the rumbling of a car. He had learned back at home about those magically riding machines that blew out puffs of dirty smoke into the air. He didn't like them, but they were useful and faster than carriages. There, within the trees their black car sped wildly towards the road. Relief washed over him. Pona was alive.

He sprinted to meet the rumbling metal and jumped into the road waving. "Hala!"

The wheels screeched and smoked, sliding to a halt. He jumped out the way so not to get hit and banged the driver side door.

"Pona!"

"You coward," he shouted through the glass. "Over here. Get in over here."

He came around the car, feeling for the nugget to grip the door's handle. He barely slid onto the seat, before Pona took off. The stench of burning flesh and leather made him gag, despite the blood everywhere. Literally, everywhere.

"You shouldn't drive like this."

"Shut up Faun! You bloody arsehole."

"What did I do? You tried to kill the girl."

"So, what," he snarled pressing an arm to his wound.

"You're hurt bad, let's stop so I can dress it."

"No."

"Stop this uh car."

Pona snickered, eyes red and wide like a maniac in his pain. Faun squealed, holding onto whatever he could to keep from flying out the window.

"Slow down."

Sirens echoed over the trees. Coming the direction, they were leaving. Faun snarled and sighed, wondering whether not getting caught was a good thing.

Within a half hour or so they exited the woods and was swirling up a street with large square buildings and tubes springing up from their roofs.

"Where are we?"

"Nowhere," Pona grumbled. He stopped the car within a vacant lot and turned off the ignition. "Damn girl. Faun where's the bag?"

"What?"

"Don't what me. Where's the bag? At least we got that."

"Well, um..." Faun said opening his palms and giving a closed smile.