Chapter II

8:28 A.M- Tuesday, October 28th, 2014
Old Fourth Ward- 800 Dallas St. NE
Atlanta, Georgia

"The victim's name is Melanie Trager. Twenty-four years old. She's been raped and her throat was slit afterwards." Dr. Danielle Pierce, the Chief Medical Examiner for the state of Georgia, explained to Landon as she led him to the body.
Landon had gotten to the scene no more than ten minutes after he heard Dispatch. The thought of the call with the strange voice bothered him as the curly haired woman led him to a lump covered in a white blanket.
"What do you know about her?" Landon asked, examining the body closely.
"Nothing, really. We know that she studied at Georgia Tech." Dr. Pierce replied, her thick country accent made it a little more difficult for him to understand her.
Before Landon could respond, someone was yelling his name. The source of the yelling came from behind him, and he immediately recognized it as his partner, Ian Taylor, "Are you kidding me, Landon?" The same annoyance from an hour ago was evident in his voice.
Landon turned around to face Ian, "Ian, I'm fine. We have more to worry about than my sleep schedule." He pointed to the body.
"What happened?" Ian asked, looking towards Dr. Danielle Pierce, who was standing there uncomfortably as the tension between the two detectives was strong.
"Melanie Trager, twenty four years old. She went to college at Georgia Tech. She's been raped and her throat has been slit." The Medical Examiner repeated.
"Do we have any leads?" asked Ian
"We won't know much more until we can get an autopsy done." The woman's country accent carrying thick in these words.
"Thank you, Dr. Pierce." Landon said before turning to walk back to his car.
"Are you going to go home now, Landon?" Ian asked, following closely behind him.
"Did you really just ask me that?"
"Yes, I did. You need to go home and get some rest."
"Were you back there or not?" Landon asked, making sure not to share the details of what happened in the car to his partner.
"Yes, I was," Ian began, "You don't have to push this case on yourself. I can work it with Jane or Jake."
Landon shot around, he could feel his face burning with red hot anger, "I DO NOT NEED YOU TO BABYSIT ME!"
As Landon yelled, everyone at the crime scene turned around to face him. He paid no attention to the bystanders, instead he was focused on his fellow detective. Landon had never been this angry, but he hated it when people tried to decide what was best for him.
"Landon, calm down." Ian stared at Landon as if he didn't know who he was anymore.
Landon's breaths were heavy, "I don't need you to babysit me, Ian." He turned and walked back towards his car. His heart finally slowing down.
Landon was standing in front of his car, and as he reached into his pocket for the keys in his pocket, his vision started to blur. The car in front of him was seeping away. The last thing that the detective heard was the sound of his partner yelling his name, then his world went black.