Chapter 1

Let's just say this for sure takes place after the Grand Magic Games Arc and down the road...

Summer is ending which means that autumn will be starting soon enough. Sometimes the days are warmer than expected while sometimes the nights are chillier than usual. Currently, the sun is setting and the colors in the sky are certainly beautiful. Pinks and blues are highlighting the wispy clouds.

Lucy, Natsu, and Happy are walking to where a job is since a pink-haired Dragon Slayer blatantly refused to take the train. The trio will arrive at their destination at a point tomorrow. In the meantime, they are able to enjoy the fresh air and wonderful countryside.

"Are we almost there?" Lucy whines as she plods along the dirty road. She is more cranky than usual and just wants to sleep since she is so tired.

"We'll be there before you know it, Luce," Natsu assures her. He is currently acting as a pack mule. His bookbag is on his back while Lucy's bookbag is over his chest. Both sets of straps are over his shoulders, and the extra weight is easy enough to manage.

"Aye, sir!" Happy agrees as he walks on the ground between them.

Being lightheaded is not helping Lucy in the slightest. "I just want to go sleEEEP!" She trips over a small rock, but manages to stay on her feet this time.

"Do you think that you'll make it?" Natsu asks, maneuvering behind Happy and Lucy so he can be on her right side. He makes sure the rolled up blanket sticking out of his bookbag does not accidentally knock into the back of her head. Not that he will admit it, but he is slightly worried about Lucy. She is not acting like one hundred percent herself.

She waves it off his concern. "I'll be fine soon enough."

Not even five minutes later, Lucy is resting her hands on her knees as she bends over in place. "Can we take a break?" she huffs. "I'm really tired."

"You want to take a break before setting up camp for the night?" Happy questions.

"Whoa, I don't want to camp out here. I want a real bed."

"We can find an inn if we keep walking," Natsu says. "The town isn't that far from here." After all, that is their destination.

She lets out a pitiful whine. "Walking requires effort." Lucy starts considering calling for a Celestial Spirit to lend a hand...

Natsu looks down at Happy. "Can you help me out, buddy?"

"Aye, sir!" he answers.

So Natsu slips off Lucy's bag and sets it down on the ground. While he moves his bookbag to the place Lucy's had been, Happy takes a hold of her bookbag and hovers into the air with it. It is easier for him to carry it this way.

With his free back to Lucy, he bends at his knees in front of her. "Hop on."

Without a word, she climbs on and adjusts herself so they are both comfortable.

Then Natsu stands up and starts walking. "Ugh, you're heavy," he teases.

"Hey, I'm trying to watch my weight!" she stresses.

"She's gained a few pounds," Happy snickers.

"Quiet, you cat!" Lucy hisses. Truth be told, she has. She cannot figure it out either, and the unknown reason is frustrating her. She likes her figure!

With her being so close to him, Natsu can easily pick up on her scent. She has been smelling different recently. She still smells like Lucy, but there is just something different about her. He cannot quite put a finger on why. But he knows it is not because she changed her perfume or anything like that. Her body has slowly been changing its natural scent.