COLD TEARS

mia slowly crept into the small kitchen, making sure her steps were as quiet as possible. the parquet floor was cold underneath her bare feet, chills prickled at her skin as a rush of coldness ran down her back.

she pulled her hair to one side and ran her fingers through them on the crown of her head shortly then. they still smelled of the shampoo with apple aroma, which harry washed her hair with.

harry was standing at the white plain counter, stirring a small spoon in a pale green mug with a painted baby bear. the sleeves of his flannel shirt were rolled up, showing off his few tattoos. 

“have you seen my uncle?” mia asked softly in a murmur to not scare him as she walked towards him. she fidgeted with her own faded burgundy sleeves of the sweatshirt harry picked for her.

his eyes sparkled as he looked at her, some of the left tears threatened to escape again. mia could see how they were recovering from being bloodshot. harry turned away from her just as a tear rolled down his cheek.

mia’s heart sank. her own tears blurred her vision.

“mia, you haven’t slept even for an hour.” harry muttered, briskly wiping off the tears on his wet cheeks.

she stepped towards him. his back faced her, preventing her from seeing him, but mia didn’t care. she pried his hands off his face and wrapped her own around his neck. tears were sliding down her cheeks.

“please, don’t cry, harry.” mia whimpered and she felt harry tightening his grip around her. her heart sank lower with a greater weight when he let out a sob; a quiet, painful one, as if he was holding it back quite some time.

“mia,” harry whispered into her shoulder. mia could feel his fast heart beating against her chest along with hers. “i’m so sorry.”

mia closed her eyes. her lips trembled as she pursed them. she ran her fingers through harry’s hair.

“i’m so sorry.”