SPREADING WARMTH

“your uncle flew back to edmond to talk to your family. before i came to see you, i spoke to him. he told me he’s wishing for the funeral to be held right there.”

mia held back tears, her lips zipped in a tight line. a lump formed in her throat and she swallowed hard. “edmond brings so many memories,” she said, almost surprisingly. “i hate it there.” mia slumped slowly against the cushions on the brown leather couch, her chest feeling heavy. 

“it’a good to have memories of her, mia.” harry said, his voice low. the tone of his voice echoed off wall to wall—it caused goosebumps to arise on mia’s skin. 

mia shook her head and stayed quiet for a while, her gaze dropping down to the cup of tea she was holding in her cold hands, the cup of tea harry made her before they went over to sit and talk in the living room. she watched as a hot steam drifted from the cup, slipping into the brisk air.

“it’s just the fact i’ll have to go back there; it sucks, you know.” she admitted.

“why is that?”

mia sighed, biting her chapped bottom lip before setting it free, “we used to fight a lot. depression was completely taking over my mind and i just ignored everyone. . . well, they ignored me, ‘cause i gave them a good reason to.”

mia lifted her eyes to glance over at harry, who was watching her with furrowed eyebrows and pursed lips. a lightening struck inside her for a split second. harry abruptly set his own cup on the table and stood up to his feet. her lips agape, she blinked rapidly. harry reached his hand towards her, and she numbly looked at it.

“what are you doing?”

“i’m taking you out of this house.”

“what?”

“i want to make you forget for a few hours,” harry said, his hand falling to his side. “we’ll be back before bill does.”

mia bit her bottom lip, taking his offer into a consideration. she, then, furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. “you said my uncle’s in edmond. he won’t be back in a few hours.”

“don’t worry about that.” he comforted, raising his hand again towards her. 

not thinking, she took his hand. hand in hand, they walked over to the front door, where harry grabbed his keys from the key hanger.

getting into his car and buckling up, mia asked, “where are you taking me?”

“i have no idea.”