Chapter Seven

"Max, what's happening?" Haven asks shakily. The house stopped shaking and everything's a mess.
"I don't know, Haven. Where's Bree?"

"I'm here!" Bree says, pushing a few wooden boards off of her legs and dusting herself off. "Oh, thank-" The ding-dong of Cat's phone clock goes off, saying it's 5:01. "Oh my-" Bree brings the phone out of her pocket while Max dusts himself off.

"We only have an hour left!" Bree says joyfully. Max instantly gets on his knees and starts scrambling for something.

"Max, what're you looking for?" Bree says softly.
"My watch, it was my dad's,"

"You lost dad's watch?" Haven says, helping Max look for the watch.

"What's special about the watch?" Bree says, looking around as well. "It's pure silver," Max says distractedly.

"Okay. It's alright, we'll find it-"

"Found it!" Haven says, smiling at Max and wrapping the watch securely on his brother's wrist. "Thank you." Max touches the watch lovingly.

"What do we do now?"

"I suppose after we get out, we should burn this house down. No child should ever come in here."

"I agree." Haven says, smiling at Bree.

"Alright. Let's find a lighter or something in here. There's gotta be some druggie kid who smoked in here once in a while."

"True that!" Max says, laughing.

"Let's take corners of the house. Since we only have three of us, one of us is going to have to go to two corners."

"I'll take it," Max says.

"Okay. I'll take the west wing, Haven takes the south, and Max can take the east then north."

"Let's do this!" Haven says, in a determined voice.
--

Bree had Cat's phone in her hand, using the flashlight app to light her way through the west corridors.

She'd searched through ten rooms about now-how many rooms were there in this house?-and finally finds the end of the hallway.

"No lighter here," Bree whispers to herself, and turns around to go back to the middle of the house, the top of the staircase to the basement.

--
Haven walks around aimlessly in the south corridor, looking for one stupid lighter that'll burn this entire stupid house. down to the ground.

He doesn't find anything remarkable and decides to go back, candle in his hand.
--

Max is wandering down the north and east hallways, covering as much ground as he could. He stops at a doorway that's half open. Walking closer, he sees a lighter, a girly one with flowers on it.

"I found it!" He whispers victoriously.