Birthday Part 1

(A/N: Happy late birthday to me, Ryan Ross, and everyone else who was born on Tuesday! I planned to release this on Tuesday, but... Things didn't go as planned. If you know who Ryan Ross is, you're awesome. And if you don't, you're still awesome! Happy Reading!)

"Happy birthday Luce!" Lockwood said energetically, crouched next to her bed.

"Lockwood, it's midnight. Did you really have to wake me up to tell me that?" Lucy said groggily.

"Yes I did. This is going to be the best birthday you've ever had!"

"Lockwood, what requires you to wake me up at this hour?" Lucy asked.

"I decorated!"

"You wha-"

Lockwood then turned on a light, revealing that her room was covered in blue and purple streamers, a giant banner with the words 'happy birthday' written on it, and many multicolored balloons danced across the celling.

"Lockwood, when did you do all of this?" Lucy asked, rubbing her eyes and

"While you were asleep. I wanted you to see some decorations as soon as you opened your eyes. There's more of it!"

"More? How much decoration did you put up?"

"Well, I may have gone a tad bit overboard, but it was for a good cause!"

"How overboard did you go?"

"Let's just say that every surface is covered in some type of decoration..." Lockwood muttered.

"Lockwood!"

"Sorry! I couldn't resist! Now come on, I want to show you everything!" Lockwood said, standing up and practically pulling Lucy out of bed.

"Can I just stay in bed for five more minutes?" Lucy pleaded.

"Nope! You have to see everything." Lockwood said cheerily.

"Ugh okay." Lucy said reluctantly.

As they walked throughout 35 Portland Row, Lockwood talked the whole way, and Lucy saw every surface actually did have at least one piece of decoration on it.

"Did you really do all of this for me?" Lucy asked, interrupting Lockwood.

"Well, George helped too, but yes. Wait until you see the living room."

Once they finally got there, Lockwood put his hands over Lucy's eyes.

"I want you to be fully immersed in a world of birthday." Lockwood said, guiding Lucy into the center of the living room.

"And you will be... Hopefully..." He muttered. "Okay, are you ready?"

"Yes... I think."

"Close enough. Now keep tour eyes closed for a moment." Lockwood then uncovered Lucy's eyes.

"Why?"

"Don't ask, you'll find out. Now hold out your hands." Lockwood said.

"Do I want to? Am I going to regret this?" Lucy asked.

"No, just hold out your hands and trust me."

"Okay, but I'm warning you, Lockwood, I've been practicing with my rapier."

"Okay, don't worry, I won't do anything stupid."

"Okay..." Lucy said, finally holding out her hands.

Lockwood then placed a bouquet of light pink roses in her hands along with a note.

"You can open your eyes now."

Lucy looked down at the item in her hands and instantly say the note, so naturally, she picked it up and read it.

Dear Lucy,

Happy birthday. You are the most wonderful person I've ever met. Your eyes shine brighter than the stars in the sky (look up)

She stopped reading and looked up, and saw many decorative purple and blue stars hung all over the ceiling.

"Lockwood-"

"Keep reading."

And I think I want to commit the perfect crime, I'll steal your heart if steal mine.

"Lockwood, how cheesy of you. Exceptionally sweet, but cheesy." Lucy said.

"Why thank you." Lockwood said, handing Lucy two heart shaped chocolate boxes. One was labeled Lockwood's heart.

"Luce, you've seem to have already stolen my heart." Lockwood then motioned to the box of chocolates.

"How many of these do you have planned?" Lucy asked, giggling.

You'll see." Lockwood said, smirking.

"Did you plan all of this for throughout the day?" Lucy asked.

"Um... No?" Lockwood said.

"Okay, if you say so."

"You'll find out soon, but you can go back to sleep now."

"You can't just tell me to go back to sleep! Now I'm going to be thinking about this for hours on end until I find out what's happening!"

"Go to bed. You're going to need sleep for the rest of today." Lockwood said.

"But-"

"No."

"Fine..." Lucy muttered, walking back up to her room.

I wonder what he has planned... Lucy thought, drifting off to sleep. I guess everything will be clear by the end of the day...

(A/N: Okay this is random, but how smol is Lockwood on a scale of 1 to 10? 1 being the smolest and 10 being not smol. I feel like I should tell you that if you go to Jonathan Stroud's website, you can read a bit of the first chapter of The Creeping Shadow. Also, part two should be out sometime soon. Hopefully Sunday.)