Revelations on the Deathbed

Chapter 7

Another five years passed, I was now seventeen. Today was a dark day for my family. My father was sitting across from me, I could tell he was holding back tears, and I knew he was fighting his emotions. I sat on the couch staring at the TV, not watching just staring. It had all happened so quickly.

Eight days ago me and my father learned that Gramps only had a few days to live. Gramps story hadn't been as exact as he had told it. The radiation at the time that Gramps had first left the blockhouse was still high enough to be dangerous. It had affected Gramps and other people as well.

A few nights after we learned about Gramps short time left, I was sat by his bed and talked to him. He told me about his life, about the time before the war and during. He told me about his life in the blockhouse. He told me of his first love, of his first kiss. I sat and listened intently, wanting to hear eveything he said, wanting to stop time and just listen to all he had to say. I didn't want him to die.

He was finishing up a story about his first time taking a girl to the blockhouse park when he stopped. He stopped and looked at me with this strange look, his eyes were sharp and alert. I thought he was about to die and was realizing it was time when he spoke to me.

"Jack, its a lie."

"Wha-what?" I said, sniffling holding back tears.

"Go get your father, he needs to hear this."

I out of his room into the living room. My father was sitting on the couch, he was hunched over, head in hands, asleep. I ran over to him and shook him awake. He looked up at me with red, sad eyes. A tear ran down his face and disappeared into his moustache.

"Dad," I sniffled, "I think Gramps is about to die, he wants to talk to us."

We both hurried back to Gramps. When we entered his room he was sitting straight. staring at the wall, his eyes were damp and his mouth was slightly open as if he were in shock. As we closed the door he looked at us, slowly turning his head. He looked straight at us with a cold stare. His eyes looked confused and hurt.

"Its all a lie," he whispered, "Everything."

----------------------------------------------

Hello people, sorry about the long wait I had kinda forgotten about my story. I finally got this chapter out there though, so yeah. New things will be in progress by the time you read this so don't worry I will continue publishing. Well that's it for now. See you next chapter.