Remembering Shayley

PROLOUGE

It was almost midnight when she heard the smallest knock on her window. Smiling, she rolled out of bed and grabbed her shoes, and then carefully opened up the window. Once she was out, she wedged a rock in the sill to keep it from closing, and then leaped down quietly as she could. A boy stood in the shadows nearby, waiting for her and holding a bag. Slipping on her shoes, she made her way over to him.

"Hey," she whispered. "What're we doing?"

He didn't answer, and just muttered, “Follow me."

She obliged as he lead her through a tangle of bushes, until they were on the sidewalk.

“Where are we going?” she asked again.

“Just come on,” he said.

Soon, they came to high reeds near a bridge. The girl didn’t bother to ask questions anymore. He grabbed her cold hand in his warm one and pulled her along with him.

“Look,” he said softly, smiling. Before them lay a pond, with a river flowing through.

“It’s so pretty,” she whispered, looking in awe at the quiet water, mirroring the twinkling stars in the silent sky. She didn’t notice that the boy and let go of her hand and was laying out a blanket on the bank of the pond. After a few moments, the boy said quietly, “Come here, Shay.”

Her eyes lit up as she ran over to the blanket and lay down, looking at the stars. The two lay there, taking in the stillness of the night.

“You know that you can tell me anything, right Shay?” the boy said, breaking the silence.

“Yeah. And you can tell me anything too, Blake,” she whispered.

“I know,” he said.

“You’re my best friend, you know,” the one called Shay said quietly, “Since I met you. When we were kids.”

“You too,” Blake said, smiling. “And aren’t we still kids?”

“I just wanted you to know,” she said softly. “And we’re growing up.”

For a while, the pair of them lay there, just looking at the sky that stretched over a world that held so much suffering and pain, but at that moment, to them, it held happiness. 

***************************************************************************************************************

Hey guys! This is a new story idea I got in the middle of the night :) I'm gonna be making a website for this, and you'll get why around the second chapter. Vote, Comment, Share, and Fan! <3 Ari 

p.s. dedicated to dreamwithwords for supporting me in this idea. go check her out!