the effect

When we were safe and calmed down somewhat. we realized that our room looked very different. There was a lot more technical stuff than what we could afford when we left.

"Oh no!" Carrie exclaimed, "I can't find my taser!"

"Did you drop it when we ran?" I asked

"I think I did," she said.

I grunt and think to myself I wonder if leaving behind that taser was what caused all this I look at the tech around the room, the huge black square on the wall that was the T.V. and futuristic alarm clock. The taser must have influenced the development of technology making our civilization much more high tech.

I run around the room, looking at all the differences. I noticed that the layout was like the room Carrie and I shared while we shared when our roommate Johnny was still alive. As if in response to my thoughts, johnny walks into our room and starts to look for something.

"Johnny!!!" exclaimed Carrie running to him and hugging him.

"How are you alive?" I ask.

"What do you mean?" he asked back, giving up his search. Pausing for a second, he responds rudely, "I'm fine."

He walks back to the living room and turns on the T.V. to the news. They are talking about an escaped criminal and listing the different crimes he has been convicted of:

"Theft, assault, drug trafficking, two cases of attempted murder, and four cases of murder. If you see this man please report it to the police immediately and stay out of his way. A picture of Johnny flashes on the screen and his last reported location, which was the next city over. At that moment the T.V. shuts off and we look at Johnny who is holding the remote in one hand and a beer in the other. He puts the beer and grabs a gun,which was lying next to him. He began to smile fiendishly and laugh menacingly.

"Carrie, Adam... I'm sorry. You were always fun people to be around" he said.

I begin to cry as I watch him take aim at me. 

You were such a nice person

The gun is level with my head. 

It's my fault for going in that machine. 

I close my eyes and wait for the gunshot. 

I'm sorry johnny...

I hear the gunshot, but I'm not dead. I open my eyes to see carrie kneeling over johnny with a small knife. Johnny is lying on the ground coughing and bleeding. After that everything went completely dark and I passed out.