Prologue: Before the Adventure

"Dad, why are there no other people living with us? All of the books I've read suggest a larger family than the one we have."

    "First of all Felix, call me father or sir, not that childish nickname. Also, do not forget to avoid contractions, it does not sound formal. As for your question, I would not like for anything to get in the way of your studies, and people are by far the most disrupting force imaginable. That is why even I spend most of the day outside, as not to get in your way." I hoped that the answer I gave him would be enough to satisfy his curiosity. He was not going to be ready for the truth for a long time.

    "Thank you sir, I understand now. Please forgive me for questioning you."

    I sighed in relief. "It is okay, now please get back to work." After I made sure he did just that, I wandered into the kitchen to grab my pre-made meals. The sandwiches were handmade by my son, so I knew they would be up to my standards. I then gathered all of the other materials that I would need for an all-day shift at the cavern opening outside my house. These consisted of a fold-up chair, a stress ball, and pencil and a notebook in order to take notes on the happenings of this particular day. I double checked that I had everything I needed before heading out of my house.

    When I arrived at my destination first thing in the morning, nothing seemed conspicuous. It appeared to be just a normal cave opening in the middle of the Great Plains. I set up the chair and waited for all hell to break loose. I expected Them to come at around 09:00, but as time dragged on, and my eyes drooped more and more, I decided to take action in order to keep myself from falling asleep.

Confident the danger had passed for the day, I walked over to the cave, and went inside to investigate this odd diversion of the usual pattern.

***********************************************************************************************

While I was eating dinner and waiting for my father to return from work, the phone rang, shattering the silence of the mansion and compelling me to answer it. I figured I had enough time to be slow in getting there, so I got up, stretched, and strolled to the living room, not expending any unnecessary energy in order to do something as easy as pick up a phone. Alas, I overestimated my speed and got to where it was just as the message started. "Hello, Felix," A man said in an ominous tone, "I have some bad news for you." A shiver ran down my spine, "Unfortunately-" static ripped through his voice, "I apologize, the connection here is lackluster." He paused to clear his throat. "Unfortunately, your father has passed away due to a tragic accident." The moment I heard that, my head was overtaken with a blanket of apathy that would haunt me for the next eight years.