The Aftermath of the Attack on Dror Academy

In a confused daze, I stumbled to my desk, and sat down with my head on my desk. I did this in order to let what happened sink in.

"Strange beasts attacked my school? But why? And on top of that, my father flipped them off, killed them, restored the concrete to its original place, and stumbled off in extreme pain. How is that even remotely possible?" I whispered to myself, not wanting any passerby to hear, just in case I was just imagining things. Which, at this point, seemed like the most viable option to me. I looked over to the door, making sure no one was standing there with their hand over their mouth, wondering how a star student would say something like that. Although, to my surprise, there was no action at all outside the classroom, not a single student sprinting by to get to their first class on time, and no chagrined hall monitor chasing after them, yelling, "refrain from running in the halls you fiends, you are tearing apart our society!" Not even a freaking dust bunny. I sat there, confused for a few minutes, before the alarms around the school began with the force of ten million end of semester projects. In union with the ear-splitting sounds, the speaker resonated within the entire school with this urgent message;

"This in an emergency, please remain calm and listen to your teacher's instructions. I repeat, this is an emergency, remain calm and listen to your teacher's instructions!"

As my teacher was not here at the moment, I remained seated, waiting for an adult to come along and inform me of what to do. After a few more minutes passed of me sitting at my solitary desk, I decided to take initiative. I followed one of the instructions to remain calm, and slowly walked out of the class. I was shocked at the scene in the hallway. The students and teachers alike were running around in circles, with their hands on their heads screaming nonsense. They didn't seem to care about the kind message delivered through the PA system. It was surreal as I strolled through the mayhem, as everyone around me seemed to be in an organized panic. There was no deviations in their movements, they all ran in almost perfect correlation to each other somehow avoiding collision in the process. I stopped in my tracks when I saw my teacher, who I assumed to be the most mature person in the school, stooped down to the same level as everyone else, "Mrs. Sanders?" I tapped her shoulder.

"We're all going to die, save yourself!" She shouted in reply, scratching her black nails down her face.

I gave her a sidelong look and moved on. As I walked to the entrance of the school, I caught sight of the principal's office and decided to sign out and go home for the day. I realized that this was not necessary, but I wanted someone to know where I was when they came to. I rapped on the door, not expecting an answer, but to my surprise, my headmaster, dressed in his pajamas, answered the door with a grimace.

"Greetings, Aurora, please come in," He said in a hoarse voice.

Too shocked to reply, I followed his directions and sat down on the couch one would usually sit in if they were in trouble.

"So," He broke out into a coughing fit, "I'm sure you've noticed something," Another cough, "Rather strange around the school, I, uh, don't know why it's happening, but I assure you that it will be fixed as soon as we learn the root of the problem," This time he fell to the floor coughing.

"Sir, are you okay?" I asked, concerned

"Yes, I am alright, I just have a bad cold," To prove his point, he coughed again.

"Why aren't you at home? You seem to be in bad shape."

"I was at home, until I received a call that something was wrecking havoc on my school. I immediately rushed over here, and arrived to see," He gestured to his secretary screaming her head off, "This." He walked over to me, "I was going to head home to wait out this madness, and I suggest you do the same."

"Should I sign out, sir?" I asked, cautiously.

He laughed, "There is no need right now, but thanks for the thought. It gives me at least a little sense of normalcy." He patted me on the back. "Now off you go! I'll leave after I change into something more formal. I have a feeling I will be interrogated by a certain group of people know as, "reporters." He said with a small smile. I took his advice and left the school without looking back.

Once I got home, I had a revelation. I did not have any work to do. The work from my dad for this week was completed, and I didn't receive any from school today, so I was free to do whatever I wanted. With excitement, I mentally looked over my options; I could write a book, read one, play a pickup game of basketball, learn to cook, or even get a date. But being the person that I am, I plopped down on the couch, and turned on my TV. Nothing interesting poked it's head out of the constant infomercials and commercials, until I came across a cooking show titled, "how to make eggs better." This interested me as I could actually use this in my everyday life. I watched this intently for a few minutes until something occurred to me, "Maybe what happened to Dror is on the news." I turned to channel 32, which was CNN, but the only thing that was being reported was some boring political drama.

    The next source that could give some information was Denver's local news website, 9news. Sure enough, the top story had a headline of, "Nation's most prestigious school under attack from massive unknown creatures. Entire school campus in disarray." In my opinion, that was an appropriate title. The article contained interviews from the principal dressed in pajama pants and a button down shirt, a helicopter's perspective of the surprisingly unscathed school and the carnage surrounding it, and many reports of normally calm and collected people claiming that the end of the world was neigh. These did not only cover the school, but the people near the path of destruction as well. I shut my laptop, and looked around the desolate one-room apartment. There were no decorations, most of the lights were broken, and the floor was a mess. Sighing, I made my way past the mountain of empty ramen noodle containers and fell face-first onto my bed. The clock tower near my house rung four times, signaling the time to be 4:00p.m. Since there was nothing else better to do, I laid there, unmoving, and waited there until dawn.