one

e-piph-a-ny [ih-pif-uh-nee] : a sudden relevation

I put up a wall between myself and the rest of the world after it happened. Nothing was the same anymore. I tried to smile and pretend everything was fine but, I wasn’t fooling anyone. I got through the rest of my schooling with, to my surprise, excellent grades. I needed an excuse to leave everything, everyone.

I sluggishly walked up to the mailbox, contemplating as to whether or not there was an acceptation letter to a university thousands of miles away hidden in it, allowing me the opportunity to run away, start a new life.

I grab the letter addressed to me, with the words, “Cambridge University” sprawled across it. Tearing it open, I found it to say the words, “Lilah Jacobs, you’ve been accepted,” before I stopped reading.

For once in a long time, I smiled. I desired to go here for probably my whole life.

Sprinting back to the house, I took the time to finish up reading the letter. Summing it up, it basically stated I was to leave in about a month, I had to sign up for a dorm room, and the classes for the major I seeked had already been planned out for me.  

As I stepped down the stairs, I view.ed my mother in the kitchen.

“Mom, I got accepted to Cambridge,” I breathed.

“That’s amazing honey, I knew you would. When are you leaving?”

“In about a month. Can we talk about this later? I really have to go.”

My mom doesn’t know about anything that happened in the past year. I hid it, covered it up. No one knows about it except for him. It's hard to think about, let alone talk about.

Maybe this will be good for me. Maybe I could finally just forget.

Immediately trying to push this out of my mind, I pulled out my cell phone to text my best friend Rachel. We've known eachother for almost our whole lives and it felt like we were sisters. There were time when I used to think that it was terrible of me to keep some huge part of my life away from her, but I'm only doing it to keep her safe. They're still out there, and until I know for sure that I'm out of harm's way, no one can find out.

To: Rach

hey girl, I got into Cambridge! and I miss you, hang out soon?

From: Rach

hey! that’s great I’m so happy for you. meet up in 5?

To: Rach

yeah, see you

Rachel and I always met up at the quaint coffee shop across the street. Ever since we started driving, it became the easiest place to see each other and talk, plus, they have the best vanilla lattes. Most of the time it was empty, with just a few people, which is what I adored the most.

I grabbed my purse and keys and stroll to the wooden door leading to the front of my house. As I open the door, the wind picks up and pushes a small, folded piece of paper that seemed stuffed hastily under the bottom of the door. I snatch the note and push it into the back pocket of my jeans, deciding to read it later.