Chapter 15: "Discounts"

Running low on funds and having no further work to complete to get anymore, for the last few weeks of summer I decided to work at the cupcake cafe.

Cause I'm a fucking idiot, and decided to spend my money on a soda machine.

(Let's be real, it was totally worth it)

There's a small discount Starbucks on the island with job openings. I signed up, filled an application, and was assigned as a cashier for the days until our cruise back to the wonderful world of my parents wanting me to stay out of their house.

I wasn't exactly looking forward to working on my vacation, but hey, people need money.

I decided not to tell Zane since he's trying to get along with Gene. I figured putting another thing on his plate would probably end him.

On my first day of work, I slipped on (clothing man you do you) and walked out my door. It was about 7:00 am, the earliest I've ever woken up for anything except school.

I wasn't really in it to win it, so before I started my shift, I payed for a (iced/hot) coffee and guzzled it down.

The manager, Oliver, gave me a turquoise apron and tapped the bar. He had spunky blonde hair, blue eyes, freckles, and a happy-go-lucky attitude from the looks of it.

"Your job today is to main the register, and make drinks and cupcakes for our fellow patrons. Make sure they're all happy!"

He flashed a grin, then leaned in to mutter something in my ear.

"Or you'll be fired."

He smiled again, I took a step back, clearly alarmed at his change in tone as he waltzed back into the kitchen.

Okay what my manager is possessed.

My only explanation, as I sighed. My first customer had arrived. A mom toting around 5 children, shouting Spanish cuss words at them until they quieted down.

"Hello. I would like one-"

She gave me this elaborate coffee mixture, and I realized I never had training.

But there was no way in hell that I was going to live when my manager found out that I ruined the store spilling the mocha-fuck-if-I-know on the floor.

I prepared it as carefully as I could, not even breathing wrong on the coffee. Luckily, there wasn't too much of a line, as it was only about 7:30 and most people on the island woke up at 10:00.

I gave her the drink, accepting the money and exhaling slowly as she tried it and nodded. I almost collapsed from air loss after she left.

"Jesus Christ why isn't there anyone helping me..."

I sighed miserably. My phone pinged, and I opened it up.

It was a text from Laurance.

What? I haven't heard from him in years? How did he get my number?

From 1-483-***-****

Hey, this is Y/n right? It's Laurance. I need your help with something. Can we talk around 12 on Skype?

I frowned, but replied with a yes, hoping I would do good enough to earn a lunch break.

I wonder what he wants.

~~~~~~~~~

10:00 started, the lunch rush was upon me. Everyone and their brother decided to themselves, "Hey! Let's make Y/n's day 8 trillion times worse by standing in line as she works alone with no experience with discount Starbucks at all!"