chapter twelve

Adams POV
The space between us became tense. Even though we didn't seem to make eye contact, everything seemed to be slowed down. My head leaned against the wall as I was about to dread every word I said to Karina, explaining everything. Even if I did tell her any time, I never expected it to be in such a grim area, where the scent of plastic gloves roams around the rooms while tightened on people's hands as they perform surgeries or check ups on patients. It just wasn't pleasant.

I darted my eyes at Karina but my head remained against the wall as I was way too drowsy to move. Her eyes were fixed towards me, her brows furrowed, ready to listen to what I was about to say. I sighed preparing myself.

"Lots of families aren't perfect. Actually, people aren't perfect and that causes a family to dis part from each other. Or sometimes it get bring others closer. In this case, it brought me and my nephew closer. In a negative way. See, when you lose someone, not just someone but your soulmate, everything goes flop."

"So what happened?" Karina indirectly wanted me to quickly get to the point.

"Well, let's just say different people have different ways of coping with their situations. And my nephew unfortunate didn't have the best ways. He didn't have the greatest past, and the times he did was with his best friend. They were pretty much more than brothers and Yousif couldn't live one day without him. But sadly, life doesn't always give you what you want. So around 6 months ago, his best friend got in a motorbike accident and he didn't survive."

"I'm so sorry." I could hear her sympathy in her tone. But with her, it didn't sound fake. It sounded like she actually meant it and it's been long since I've met a genuine person.

"It's okay. But that's the reason why we're here. That, and how Yousif has been coping with it."

"Well what's he doing?"

"He started joining gangs. Started doing crazy shit with guns. He thinks he's super tough and that he can beat everything. The problem is, he's not. Because of that, he's sitting in that hospital bed right now. He stood up to the wrong group of people, and they handled it their way."

"Wow. Um I don't know what to say I-"

"You don't have to say much, there isn't much you can say really."

"Well he'll find a way out of this. What about his parents?"

"His parents don't know anything. Guess who's been getting him out of near death situations?" He eyes widened in shock.

"How could you?! You can literally get shot, you can never test these gangs around here." Her voice had risen just a little from her concern.

"Right. But I didn't." I looked down and brushed it off like no big deal as was said in my tone. She rolled her eyes at me and I smirked.

"You're cute when you're protective." I looked up at her and my eyes locked at her alluring features and how they fit well in her dark, silky hair that fell down her back.

"Well you should continue. Anything else?"

"Right." I snapped out of trance. "So, what he didn't understand was that life isn't fair. And no matter how hard everyone tells him, he just seems to think life is a joke without happiness."

"Well how are you gonna get happiness when you don't try at all." I was astonished at her words.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, happiness isn't gonna just come to you like air into your lungs. You have to work for it. And by that, I mean you have to ignore everything negative that comes to you. That's the past and you need to know that everything happens for a reason. Of course life isn't gonna be fair. It's like a boxing ring. And I've met no one that has won the first round."