Prolouge

I twirled my fingers around my spoon, my long, thin fingers dancing around the object until I felt Jackson's eyes burn a hole into my skull. I raised my gaze to meet his. His almost black eyes stared creepily into my grey ones, his eyes wide. He looked at me like that when he wanted to ask me something. I knew my brother well enough to know that.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" I asked.

"Aren't you going to eat your breakfast?" he muttered, peering back down to his food.

"Not hungry," I answered, copying his action. I continued to spin my spoon around and about in the bowl. For a long moment, the sound of awkward silence and the creaking floor from my dad in the next room over filled the air. I hated the sound of silence. It made me feel alone, and it scared the hell out of me. "So, what are you going to do today?" I had to say something to end that horrible silence.

Jackson peered up at me. "Nothing," is all he said. That's all he ever said. There was nothing to do, especially during the day. Being a Lancaster made us like that. "Why?"

"No reason," I murmured as I looked back down to my cereal bowl. The milk was beginning to sicken, staining like to a cream color. It even smelled gross. I don't know how long I must have sat there, but it clearly had been a while.

Grossed out, I picked up the bowl, before tossing it into the sink."Are you going to drive me to school today?" I asked.

"Dad said he will," came Jackson's voice from behind my back. I rolled my eyes. I highly doubted it. He would never go out, claiming it was bad for his skin. He didn't even seem to care about anyone anymore.

"Of course he did," I muttered sarcastically, turning to face him.

"That's what he said," Jackson admitted, before taking a sip of his iced tea, A.K.A: The family drink. It was the Lancaster way. According to Dad, it was the reason why they met. It was the only thing he'd tell me about her. Everyone in the house loved it.

"Of course he did," I muttered, rolling my eyes. I couldn't have picked a better time to say it. Every other time would have been better, but of course, life never works out the way we might hope. That's the exact moment Dad happened to walk in.

"Of course he did what?" Dad asked when he stepped into the room. His black hair was combed back and his black suit was too crisp. Even though we lived in an middle class three bedroom house, he dressed like he was a millionaire who could care less if he spent a thousand dollars on a suit. It was very rare to even see him without one on. In it, he looked almost nothing like Jackson, who always wore his hair messy and loose comfortable clothes, even though he was his mirror.

Jackson and Dad looked very similar with the same black hair and eyes, while I was the oddball. With my blue-grey eyes and dirty blonde hair, I just didn't match. Unless my mom looked like me, it made no sense. Maybe that's why he didn't usually stay near me long, especially the older I got.

"I was just telling Grace that you said you would drive her to school today," Jackson answered for me, letting his glass clamp against the table without trying to quiet the sound.

"I did," Dad confirmed. "Are you ready to go, Grace Rosalie?" I nodded. I wanted to get away from the boys as soon as possible. I couldn't have Jackson telling Dad anything more. "I'll be in the car." Then he turned to the door. I picked up my black bag from the chair and followed him out.

Before opening the door, I pulled up my sweat jacket hood over my head and sunglasses covered my eyes. When I did step out, I raced towards the car, but it wasn't enough because I felt burning on my nose... And it hurt so much I almost screamed out in agony.