Chapter Three: "Make Me Understand"

So, I didn't end up scaring William out of my life. Instead, I brought him up into my room to work on the project. On the way upstairs, he was quiet as he tried to make me look at him, but I didn't and kept my eyes on my black sneakers as they made their way to the room.

When we reached my room, I opened the room and slammed it behind William. "Ready to start?" he asked. I just nodded and sat down at my desk, typing in my email. William sat down on my queen sized bed, on top of my black and white striped comforter.

At the end of class, Mrs Cornwell told the class she'd send everyone an email with our project subject on it. If it wasn't for that reason, I wouldn't be checking my emails. I never did. That's why I wasn't surprised to see 1258 unread emails.

I clicked on the most recent one. Beside From on the computer screen, it read Faith Cornwell. I almost screamed when I saw the topic. Vampires. My mind went berserk. She must have know about me. I tried telling myself it was because of the excuse I made, but something in me was terrified, so I read the rest of the email. P.S: I know your secret. Meet me before school at 730 a.m. to talk about it. That didn't help.

"Grace, you okay?" came William's voice.

"Yea," I lied. I was not alright and I couldn't hide the way my voice sounded when I wasn't. "We got vampires."

"Okay," William began sternly, "I know you are lyin'. Tell me what's wrong. I won't judge you. I just want to help." He reached for my hand, but I pulled away.

"I can't," I murmured.

"Please, Grace. I need to know."

"You don't need to know," I muttered.

"I do if it's buggin' you," he added. "You need to tell someone so it mine as well be me."

"I'm not going to."

"Grace..." I cut him off.

"I'm not telling you. You don't need to know. If you knew, you'd understand."

"Then make me understand." I could tell me wanted me open up to him. In the way his eyes froze on mine, the way he spoke with feeling, emotion, like he knew what it was like to be someone hurt by something you can't change. Something deep inside me, wanted to tell him, but I couldn't.

"I know what it's like to be in a situation you want no part of," he explained, "and that if you are in a situation like it, you should open up to someone you trust. If it's not me, you should tell someone."

"I want to, but I can't," I admitted.

"I won't tell anyone. If it has to be a secret, I promise I'll keep it. I swear it on my mother's life." I didn't know much, but I knew if someone swore on their mom's life, it meant they won't tell anyone. It cracked a hole in my shell. I felt myself breaking, one tiny piece at a time, until the truth came bursting out from the seams. I couldn't help it.

I rushed to grab a piece of paper from my desk drawer and to pick up my pen. I let it go. All my secrets that been crammed into my mind for so long, even the secrect that could have gotten my family and I killed. I lost control. Somethings have to be said.

When I was done, I handed it to William. I watched his eyes scan the page, and I felt like something heavy was lifted off my shoulders. I was glad for once in my life. I was a monster, but why did I have to hide myself from everything?

"I can't believe you," he finally said once he read it all over. "You..." he looked up at me, "You are a monster. You... Your whole family!" Something was uneasy in his voice. "You are a monsters, and monsters have to be eliminated before they have the chance to hurt others." He picked up a long wooden stick.

"William," I murmured, taking a step back. My blood ran through my cold fingers. "Please."

"No mercy," William steered, his eyes blazing. I couldn't stop the spear from ripping my heart apart.