Chapter Eight: "Let it Go!"

I didn't say a word in the ride home. I didn't feel like talking to Jackson, and I don't think he wanted to talk to me. I wouldn't apologize for what I said because they was nothing to apologize for.

"You know yesterday..." Jackson was interrupted my my phone ringing.

"Hold on a moment," I murmured as I raised my phone to my ear. "Hello?"

"Oh, hi Grace," came my cousin, Clover's, voice. "I was wondering if you want to hang out."

"When and why are you finally talking to me? It's been months."

"Busy with preparing for you-know-who."

"Fried Chicken?" I asked.

"Yep." That's what she called her 'werewolf' self. The first time she changed, she couldn't control herself and was attacking everyone with fried Chicken she could find for it. That night, she gained fifty pounds, and it took months trying to burn off all the weight.

"You wouldn't believe how much preparing goes into that time of month. Thanks for letting me stay in your basement, by the way."

"You're welcome, and I have to ask you a question."

"I'll be there in five. Ask then."

"Okay, bye." I hung up. "I'm meeting Clover in five."

"Alright." He almost sounded depressed, but he didn't say anything else.

****

I watched an old blue minivan pull up to my driveway from my front steps. I knew Clover must have been inside because it was her boyfriend's minivan. She didn't have one, but she used it more than he did so most would have called it hers. "Hop in!" came Clover's voice from the vehicle.

After rising to my feet, I raced towards the minivan, making a note to be quick as I made my way out of the shade. I sat in the front seat beside Clover, my tall cousin with fiery curls. "Hey, cuz," she smiled as she wrapped her arms around me, quickly kissing each of my cheeks. "It's great to see you. Been a while." I nodded. "What do you want to do?"

"I really need to get my nails done," I answered and rose my hand for her her see my pale pink nails that were lined in white due to my picking at them.

"Of course, let's go." She loved to get them done anyway. Doesn't matter if she just got them done, she loves going to the nail salon.

"So," I murmured. "Can I ask you a question?"

"You really need to speak up, cuz," she muttered.

"So I hear," I answered. "But anyway, where were you? I thought you lived in the basement."

"Moved in with Colin. Got an apartment, and he asked, so I said, 'Hell yea. Why not.'"

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I sent you a message. Probably didn't send. My phone is stupid."

"Of course it is," I chuckled.

****

It only took a few minutes to drive to the nail salon. Clover's voice was the only one that made a sound until we reached the building. Even if I didn't talk much, I still enjoyed her company.

We were greeted by a tall young woman with bleached hair. It didn't take long to realize it was Delilah, one of the two twins that owned the shop. she was young, only a few years older than me, twenty-three. Only problem? She doesn't ever get along with her sister, Daphne. "Hey, Clove. Grace."

"Hey, Lilah," Clove grinned back, "the usual."

"Perfect, Clover you can sit down here, and Daphne will be here shortly, and I'll take over with you, Grace."