Chapter 1

"The perfect couple."

That's what the photographer had told me when she saw us at the chapel this morning.

So that's what we are, to her and to the rest of the country, the "perfect couple." Two beautiful people of above average intelligence who managed to fall in love despite their social classes, standing here now at the altar, side by side, prepared to bind ourselves in holy matrimony until death do we part.

Earlier I had overheard some of the young female guests gush about how it was like a fairy tale romance, like something straight out of a Disney princess film. He was the prince and I was the poor, normal girl who managed to capture his heart.

So "romantic."

And today, a day where the sun is shining brightly and the birds chirp their songs of love, we are finally getting married.

It will be the happiest day of our lives...

"Could you at least try to look a little less bored?"

A voice hissed from beside me, annoyance tinging the words.  It was spoken in an angry whisper, quiet yet loud enough to reach my ears alone.

My mouth hung open in a very unladylike fashion as yet another yawn escaped past my lips. Casting a sidelong glance upwards, I met the agitated stare of the one and only Logan Williams.

"Can you blame me," I whispered back, "I would rather watch paint dry then listen to this guy drone on about...whatever it is he's reading from that book."

"That guy" was the priest. His slow, monotonous voice could put anyone to sleep. Even the most unruly classroom full of kids hyped up on the sugared cereal their parents fed to them for breakfast would be knocked out in an instant.

Seriously though, it sounded more like we were at a funeral than a wedding.

"He must be a blast at parties." I mumbled, holding back a snicker.

Logan quickly darted his eyes from me to the priest, then back to me again.

"Hey, he's right there you know."

I had to hold back the laugh that threatened to burst out of my mouth, settling with a simple eye roll at his statement. "Since when did you start caring about how other people feel?"

"I don't want my reputation tarnished because some old geezer blabbed to his friends about my wife insulting him during our wedding."

I gave him a bored look. "Ok, and since when did you start caring about your reputation?"

Logan shot me a glare, unamused by my comment before he spoke. "Even I have at least some decency to care about my reputation, so how about you stop talking."

I sighed at his statement. Of course he didn't care about the feelings of others, the only thing that mattered to him was making sure he got to keep his position as the new CEO of OZ, one of the top 10 electronics companies worldwide.

But who am I to talk, I cared about others just as little as he did.

We held each others' stares for several heartbeats as if we were having some childish staring contest. His deep, emerald green eyes sparkled from the lights of the chandeliers overhead, conveying to me an unspoken message to hold my tongue for at least the time being, just until the wedding was over. But from my eyes, he could tell that wasn't going to happen.

As much as we dislike each other, it's both odd yet convenient that it's almost as if we can read each others' minds just from a stare. It will make this marriage just that much easier.