one

Sephora's POV

"Sephora? Can I come in?"

 As I heard my mother ask to come in, I got up from my bed and opened the door for her. She enters my room and sits onto my bed. "When does your job start?" 

I sigh. "It starts tomorrow, Monday." A job was recently offered to me, an detective position at the Investigation Department (LAPD). I'm only nineteen years old but because of how 'highly intelligent' I am based off of IQs, grades, SATs, and the power to solve situations, the job was offered to me by the Chief, himself. My parents agreed to this and so did I. 

"I'm so proud of you, Sephora." My mother pats me on the back and gives me a smile. "I always knew you would end up becoming a detective by your ability to solve issues so quickly.

"Dinner is ready, by the way." My mother leaves and closes the door. I plop myself back onto my bed and lay on my stomach.  What am I ever going to do

I went downstairs to see my sister, Kelsey (also known as Kel) sitting at the table eating her favorite type of cereal, Cheerios. Kelsey is five years younger than me, she's fifteen. She's in tenth grade but she looks younger. I see that she has her volleyball jersey on meaning she has a game today. 

"Hey Seph, can you take me to my game today? It's only fifteen minutes away and I want you to watch me play." I softly laugh and agree. 

"Strike five points and we can go to the mall and get you something." I say smiling at her.

"That's a deal!" She says, grabbing my hand to shake on it as we both laugh. 

After Kelsey and I finished our meals, she grabbed her bag and we went off to her game. She told me how she is playing setter today. Kelsey loves volleyball and I want to support her the whole way. When we arrive, we exit the car and enter the gymnasium. I see the other team stretching out and a couple girls from Kelseys team here too already. Kelsey waves at her teammates and walks to them but I pull her hand right before she left.

"Good luck!" I tell her.

"Thanks." She gives me a hug and smiles at me and leaves off to her team to stretch out/get ready. I get a seat on the bleachers and go on my phone. I take a picture of Kelsey and send it to my mom. As I sit there on my phone, the referee blows the whistle starting the game. 

The game ended with a score of 19-16, with Kelsey scoring four points. She walked over to me with a fake sad frown. "Can we still go to the mall please?" She asked. "I still scored over one point! Four to be exact." 

I laughed and said, "Fine but you can only get something with a  thirty dollars worth." She frowned again but she finally agreed to it. Since Kelsey was only a fifteen year old girl, going to the mall means everything for her. 

It was already past three o'clock and I pulled up into our driveway. As we enter the house, my sister hugs me (again) and rushes off to her room to put away the clothes I bought for her. Our mother greets me in the kitchen as I place the car keys on the counter table. 

"How was the game?" She asks as she stirs some batted eggs in a bowl. Right when I was about to answer that question, my sister runs down the stairs and answers it for me. 

"It was good, the score was 19 to 16. I scored only four points but Seph let me get something for only thirty dollars at the mall. I used that money quite well because instead of getting something thats thirty dollars exact, I got three shirts and a pair of leggings." Her smile beamed throughout the whole kitchen by how happy she was. I put my hand over her neck and hug the life out of her. 

"Ouch! Your hurting me!" Kelsey says laughing. My mother releases my hand off of Kel and goes back to cooking. I decide to go upstairs to my room just since I'm disinterested in cooking and everything else downstairs. When I enter my room, I sit on my chair and look whats on my desk. I clean it up a bit and organize it fully. What a day. 

"Maybe I should go to the library?" I say to myself. 

I instantly go downstairs and get my car keys. "Where are you going?" My mother asks. 

"The library! I'll be back in 30!" I sprint out the door and get in my car. The library was less than ten minutes away from our house so I had a little time to 'wander' around the library. When I arrived, I went over to the fiction books and saw the John Green books were there. Those books were my ultimate favorite a couple years ago. I traced my finger along the books that laid on the shelves as I read the names. 

     "Sephora! Dinner's ready!" I go downstairs as I hear my mother say its officially time for dinner. The meal was different tonight, it was steak, asparagus, corn, and mash potatoes. As we sat at the dining table as a family, we talked about whats been going on these days. "What time does your work start tomorrow?" My mother questioned.

"I have to be there by 8, so I have to wake up at around 6 to get ready." My parents nod and go back to eating. 

After we've completed our meal, I cleaned up the table and washed the dishes. I looked at the clock, 10:58pm. Maybe I should go to bed now, I have to wake up early tomorrow for my 'first day' of work

I laid there in my bed, staring at the ceiling with a million thoughts running through my mind. I had my outfit ready for tomorrow and I was straightening my hair with some light makeup. I planned this all out as I couldn't fall asleep.