The Jarhead [On Hold]

I run my fingers through my hair as I jump off the bus, still in my heavy khaki uniforms that are a dusty brown. Steve sticks his head out the window, his jarhead haircut almost exactly like the one I had. If you didn't know him, you would think his hair is black like mine but it is actually dark brown.

"See you soon Peach." He smiles a row of brilliant white teeth. I smile at my silly nickname. 

"Don't leave it too late Steve." He sticks his arm out and I take it gripping onto it. The bus starts moving and I let go. I watch as it disappears in a haze of brown dust down the road and I begin to walk up my long drive way, my feet crunching in the dirt. Instead of being bald now, a soft down of hair has grown into it about two inches long of jet black hair. 

My bag of belongings is on my back as my giant house comes into view. My father died a year ago and left it to me. So now, this is what I come back to. As I approach it, I notice a van in the driveway. I wasn't expecting visitors. I think to myself. I crouch down low and my training kicks in as I take cover in the trees and fish around for the old rifle he always kept hidden in the trees. My fingers wrap around the gun and load the bullets into it. 

I keep bent knees as I near the house. I hear boys talking as I make my way up the front door. I use the point of the gun to open the door and I see a boy with a mop of brown curls on his head and white skin. I don't see anybody else but I can hear them. 

I push the barrell of the gun up against his lower back and he startles. Before I have time to speak he flips around and snatches the gun out of my hands. 

"I can't believe that worked-" He exclaims right before my fist lashes out and punches him in the bridge of the nose before taking the rifle back into my own hands and pointing it back at him. "I can't see!" He shouts. Others rush to the foyer. Then I see a familiar face, Zayn? 

"Kadence?" The tanned boy asks. I'm sure it is my cousin Zayn. I haven't seen him in years and he sure got taller. We are about the same height now. "Kadence it that you?" Who else would know my name? I turn the safety clip on the rifle on and place it against the door. 

"Zayn Malik please tell me that is you." I smile as I walk into his arms and he hugs me. 

"It's me Kadence." He tells me and I smile. I turn around and see the boy I punched still laying on the floor. I don't bother helping him up. A couple walks out from the kitchen. He has brown hair and blue eyes with a tall stature while she is a little shorter with short carroty red hair and green eyes. His arm around her is caring, like he never wants to let her go. 

Then I come to my senses. 

"What are you doing in my house?!" I shreik. 

"Holiday." Zayn leans down and helps up the boy from the ground. His green eyes flush at me with rage and I roll my eyes at him, stomping up to my room and slamming the door. My cousin and his band all in one house with me and my temper. Yeah there is no way this could possibly go wrong.