Chapter 6

When we wake up, we don't pack up out camp to continue walking. I help everyone roll up their sleeping bags and put away the tent before we leave. I lodge the large food container in a tree to keep it away from any animals that might want it. Everyone stand in a circle before me as I give a safety debreifing. 

"Alright, so today's hike is going to be a little dangerous. We are going to climb all the way to the summit of the mountains. We have all the food we need in our packs as you know. Everyone is carrying the perfect amount. I have to lay down some rules seeing as you are all inexperienced hikers." I say, catching sideways glances. 

"Rule number one, follow me. Don't wander off the track like an idiot. We will be walking in a long line and I'll be at the front. Rule number two, speak up, if you are having trouble, say something and we can help you. Your pride is not worth your life. Rule number three, if anything bad happens, stay calm and don't try to be the hero." I pull on a pair of fingerless gloves before beginning to walk, cutting a track in the underbrush with my tall boots. 

We trudge at a good pace uphill, trying not to over do it. My knees begin to ache with pain as I trudge up the mountain, working my way around large boulders and climbing on them, constantly looking back to see if anybody was disobeying my rules. Hopefully they weren't stupid enough. 

In the long walk a memory came back to me, one that I've tried to bury. 

I lean my bike against the tree outside Chase's house and run my fingers through my nice long black hair. It doesn't curl or spring, it's just straight. Chase is going to take me out for my birthday out to dinner. I pull my caramel leather jacket closer to my body as I walk up to the house. 

I notice the curtain slightly drawn on the living room window and creep in the rose garden, trying to sneek a peek into Chase's house. It's not that I am snoopy . . . well maybe it is. I see blonde hair flash and I frown. None of Chase's family have blonde hair. I see her icy blue eyes. Celeste? I tilt my head at an angle to see that a face is on top of hers, biting her lip and trailing kisses down her neck. 

I know that person is Chace. 

I want to puke in the rosebushes, but his mother wouldn't like that. I walk up to the door and try to open it, surprise, it's locked. Before I can think I kick the door down on the house to hear screaming. "Kadence?" Chase asks jerking up away from Celeste who is obviously blushing. 

"Yeah, that's me. You're such a jerk!" I scream at him. He walks over to me and tries to stop me, tries to calm me but it doesn't work. "Don't touch me." 

"It's not what it looks like." He says. I shake my head. 

"Making out with her neck is not what it looks like?" I yell. Celeste gets up and walks over to me. I shoot her a deadly glare and she stays back, clearly telling her that if she takes one more step, she will die. 

"Kadence it was a mistake." He pleads but I shake my head. I punch him in the nose and hear a sickening crunch as my fist makes impact with it. Blood gushes down his face and the coppery scent fills the air. I scrunch my nose in disgust. 

"Do not speak to me ever again. Do you understand?" I say in a deadly tone. I turn on my heel and walk out the door. He goes to speak but I interupt him in my scary calm voice. "If you try to talk to me, I'll shoot you." I don't bother fixing the door, instead I walk out to my bike. I see Celeste running out, her shirt slightly unbuttoned. I hop on my bike.

She runs past me to the end of the street, purposely trying to stand in my way. I start peddling faster and faster. I know she is too stubborn to move, but she doesn't know that I am as well. The front wheel of the bike smashes into her and she is knocked to the ground. I fly over the handlebars and skid a little.