Chapter Two

My feet screamed, my legs burned, and everything else just felt horrible. It had been about an hour after I woke up. I counted sixty seconds over and over again to kill time. After I saw what happened to my town and family. I decided to get as far away from the place  as I could. Even though I had been walking for more than an hour, I still saw the destruction. House ablaze, children and their parents beyond recognition, and familiar sites and places were no longer familiar. But that didn't matter to me because more important thoughts were going through my mind. 

Why am I alive.

Why am I still here?

How did I not perish with everyone else?

These questions rambled in my brain as I walked. The longer I though about them, the more frustrated I became. I did not know the answers. 

I counted sixty, sixty more times. The signs of damage was lessening, but was still apparent. As I walked, I heard sounds coming from the sky. Fearing that it was another bomb, I looked up at the sky. Many layers of dark something were still blocking out most of my view, but I could make out the sound of helicopter blades. 

My prayers were answered and my saviours had came. 

I started to yell. Even though my throat was dry and scratchy, I still yelled. I didn't stop until I couldn't hear the helicopter anymore. 

Just like my strength, the helicopters slowly died out. My knees buckled and I fell onto the pavement. Tears flowing from my eyes, I prayed. I prayed for God to send me some help, or for him to take me away from here. 

I even started to pray to anyone to come and help me.

They say that God may not help you as soon as you want him to, but he is always on time.

Well, it's pretty late to me.

So I didn't just lose my strength. I lost my faith. I sat in the middle of the street surrounded by destruction and depression. I decided to end my life on my own terms.

I wanted to make sure I was going to die.

I looked around me. Potential weapons were everywhere. I decided to use a thin, sharp piece of glass. As I held it against my neck, I closed my eyes and prayed that I would see my family in heaven. I slid the smooth material quickly against my flesh. I knew the cut was deep and in a matter of seconds, I passed out.