Once Upon a Time

This is the story of two places. One light, the other, dark. The light was called Alba, a beautiful land of peace and prosperity. The dark was called Atra, a controlled place, where its citizens were split apart from Alba. Slowly, as time passed, all memory of Atra's existence was forgotten by Alba. A secret portal was created that was used to travel between lands, that only few knew existed. All was left was a legend of another world, that, for what they knew, was just a story. 

In Alba, there was a town. Well, this was one of many. In this town lived a small family. (There were many citizens in Alba, but this is where our protagonist lived.) In this family, was a girl named Caris. She was fourteen, or she would be very soon, as her birthday was only two days away. She was itching to get the new telescope she wanted so much, for she loved to look at the stars. Her immediate family consisted of only her mother, her father, and her little sister Floretta.

There was something that made her different from everyone else in Alba. Everyone had blonde hair, while Caris had black hair. Some people found this strange, while others thought it was beautiful. She would often sit on her swing, and travel through her thoughts. This was not something many people did, for everyone was busy with their own lives. She would often have her "head in the clouds" as people told her. She didn't care, because why should one stop having something so innocent as imagination?

 Her cousin once told her, "Caris, when will you stop chasing butterflies, and keep your feet on the ground like the rest of us?" She ignored the comment and replied, "Never, because I like chasing them, I think." "That's right. And just you wait, I'll be the greatest stargazer there ever was!" said Caris. Her cousin never did understand her. Most people didn't. But she was okay with that. Little did she know, that she would soon do the impossible.

And here, the story begins.