Chapter 2

I tug at my ponytail, as I walk into the cold bathrooms. Penolpe is already there, scribbling on her leather notebook. She doesn't look up. "Hey", I grin into the mirror and apply a slick of lipgloss. "Hi", she mutters, writing vigorously. "Guess what?", I grin. She doesn't look up. "Mathew was asking for you!" Her pen stops for a second but then injects the paper with harsh blue ink. I hesitate, "something about this weekend..." she doesn't even look up. I sit down opposite her and take out a Crunchie. I brake off half and put it on the floor. Then I bight in and let the smooth chocolate lather my throat. 

                                                                                                  She suddenly jumps up. "I finished it", she laughs. "I know I said that it was already done, but in History it was as if a bombshell exploded and I just had all these amazing ideas!" I laugh. I can't stop being proud. "Here read it", she hands it to me, as the bell goes as she does. I put it in my bag, and stand up. 

                                                                                   We both are having one more look in the mirror when it happens. 

               Penolpe is plaiting her hair and I'm opening a packet of chewing gum. 

                                                                                                                                  It happens with a scream. And a yell. 

                  A cubicle door flings open. Two of the snarky 2nd years run out, one is like a jet, laughing. The other looks shaken, and creeps along behind. 

                                                                           Then there's a eerie creek. Penolpe and I bolt around. The mirror cracks, corner to corner. 

                                                   Penolpe drops the plait and I stuff the chewing gum in my pocket. We grip eachothers hands.