Chapter 1

~Chapter 1~

An encyclopedia in my hand and a man with what looked like a handgun. I'm pretty sure an encyclopedia is not as scary as a handgun. As you can see, luck is not on my side this early in the morning.

I could only see the dark silhouette of a man who was tall with broad shoulders and great hair. Maybe I shouldn't be thinking about his hair. I flicked the light switch that was a few centimeters next to me. I still held up the book cautiously.

There he stood, wearing all black probably standing a bit over 6 feet. He was tall. Well everyone is taller than me. Everyone is taller than me.

Encyclopedia. Don't fail me now.

I swung the book at his crotch and watched him fall to the ground with a loud thud. He hissed in pain on the ground. 

Clearly I have no remorse. Maybe a little. He was groaning in complete agony.

A string of curse words sprung forth from his lips as he rolled side to side. It was like he was a dying goldfish out of water or maybe a beached whale trying to push itself back into the ocean. After a few minutes, he tried to get up and I was quickly losing my window of opportunity.

"Who are you and what the fuck are you doing roaming around in my house?"

"Who hits someone in the balls with a fucking encyclopedia?" he screeched getting to his knees. His blue eyes were slightly watery.

"Hey," I screeched wielding the encyclopedia, "I will use this again."

He threw his arm over his head in surrender, "Alright okay, just please don't batter me again."

"Why are you in my house?"

"How many reasons could there really be to that question pippy long-stockings."

Ouch. "Don't make fun of me!" I whined fingering one of my braids.

"You look like a six year old!"

"Are you forgetting who has the Encyclopedia Britannica here!" , that seemed to shut him up, "Now what do you want?"

"I work for you now." Utter regret in his voice.

"Ha! That's hilarious!"

His serious face meant that he wasn't joking. Not even a tiny bit.

"Seriously. Tell me the truth before I call the cops." 

His face stayed in the same position. He's dead serious.

The word "no" repeated in my mind like a broken record. 

"Don't believe me? Ask someone."

My hand automatically reached for one of the many cell phones I have laying around the house. What? I break them a lot. Not my fault they're so fragile.

I called the first person who would know all about this 'dilemma'. 

"Grandma. What is this random guy in my house saying that he works for me?"

" Amelia. It's 4 o'clock in the mornin-" 

"I woke up and found him rummaging through my stuff!" 

I could hear her mutter a few curse word sunder her breath. An elderly woman like her does not like to be woken up from her slumber. Trust me. She did not like it when I used to have those high school parties and that one time when she-

Amy. A guy broke into your house claiming that he works for you. This is no time to be talking about your teenage memories and mistakes.

"What's his name?" She sighed.

"It's..." Crap. I forgot to ask. 

I held the phone to my shoulder and quickly looked at my unexpected visitor. "Psst!"

"Yes?" He gave me a very apparent glare. How dare he? He works for me. Or so he says...

"What's your name?"

"Vincent." 

I groaned. 

"Last name...?"

"Stryker." He rolled his eyes. He's testing my patience here.

"Vincent Stryker." I spoke into the phone. His name rolled off my tongue.

"Oh. Vincent Apollo Stryker. Such a handsome man he is. He's your personal assistant. I sent him to be there before you woke up. Apparently, he got there a bit too early." She laughed a bit.

"Grandma... Seriously?" Unbelievable.

I turned and I could see a stupid smug look on his face. I wish I could just slap it off right now.

"Why him? Why can't it be someone else? I don't like him." I started whining just a bit.

"Amelia. It's too early to discuss this. Can we just talk about this tomorrow? Please." She stopped me dead in my tracks. Whining doesn't work on her at all.

"Okay. Fine. Sorry." I grumbled.

"Alright. See you later, darling." She hung up and I turned to look at Vincent.

"Hi. Nice to meet you." He while picking himself up.

"I don't like you." I'm a pretty straight-forward person. 

"Really? I bet I can change your mind." He winked.

Great. He's one of those guys.

"Don't try anything on me or you'll lose your little friend. Got that?" 

He didn't seem phased at all.

"Now, now. Girls won't be happy with that."

"Leave." I could practically feel steam coming out of my ears.

"I live here now. According to the contract I signed, I must be near you at almost all times." 

Did I mention that I hate being wrong? Did I also mention that I already hate this guy? No? Well now it's obvious.

Letting out a noise of frustration, I turned towards my room and slammed the door behind me making sure to keep it locked.