Chapter 9: Trackers

Yumin held Bambi's necklace in his hand. The beads hung off his fingers for Tygo to sniff. Tygo tilted his head to the side, looked cock-eyed at Yumin. Zakana watched the pair of them, sensed how uncomfortable they both were with the task. Early morning light seeped into the forest and slowly sucked the dew off the greenery around them. Zakana yawned, pulled out his Pokedex and pointed it at Tygo.

"Oodi. How is Tygo's sense of smell?"

"Tyrogue has normal olfactory capabilities. It is not known for its tracking abilities."

Zakana and Yumin exchanged glances, and something shifted behind Yumin's eyes. His nostrils flared. "You have any better ideas? We need to find Bambi!"

Zakana threw his good arm up in protest. "I know, Yumin. I just don't think we should waste any more time."

"Any more time? You're the one we rested so long for—you and your stupid shoulder."

Zakana sensed the anger coming from his cousin. He knew it wasn't a good idea to be clever when Bambi's fate was unknown. Still, he felt better after they had found a safe place in the Academy to sleep for the night.

"We didn't know where to go. You even agreed it was better to wait until today. You already searched the skies with Braviary when we had light yesterday and this morning. Now we have to search in here, where Braviary's eyes can't reach."

Yumin didn't look at Zakana. He rolled his sister's necklace over in his hands as Tygo slumped over onto the ground. Both of them seethed quietly in their defeat. Suddenly, Yumin turned on Zakana. "I can't get to my Pokémon! I don't even know where they are being held. The esteemed Professor at my baby sister's Academy died in my arms, and Bambi is missing. I don't have my Arcanine to track her, and sending Braviary out again will just make it more tired. I don't know when we'll get to another Pokémon Center, Zakana. I feel helpless . . . and scared. I only have 6 Pokémon I can use and they aren't even my best. What if we get into real trouble? What if the Viterals go for us just like they did the Professor?"

Zakana breathed deeply, saw the way his cousin needed him now. He thought for a moment, and then Yumin snapped again.

"If you had more than 2 Pokémon, you could help me! But again, your infinite immaturity rears its ugly head!" Yumin spat on the ground nearby Zakana. "You're the one with a psychic Pokémon. Why don't you do something?"

The last question came as a demand, a final suggestion. Yumin fell to the ground next to his Tygo. He lifted his head, but did not look up. Then he tapped the Pokeball in his hand against Tygo's body, calling it back.

"Psychic Pokémon?" Zakana guessed that was his Slowpoke and not his Happiny. What could a psychic Pokémon do in this situation . . . especially a Pokémon like Slowpoke?

Zakana withdrew his Pokeball from his pack. "Go, Slowpoke!"

Slowpoke emerged and gave his usual dopey greeting.

Zakana walked over to Yumin, stared down at him. Yumin did not react, although Zakana knew he noticed his presence.

"If you want me to help you then give me the necklace."

Yumin held his hand up, revealed the red-orange beads in his palm.

Zakana snatched it, walked over to Slowpoke. He dangled the necklace in front of his Slowpoke's face, said. "Slowpoke. Um . . . could you um . . . use your powers to find the owner of this necklace?"