134: Aubrey

134: A

The bus had pulled up to the hotel now and the doors opened fairly quickly for us to get off. You could hear the screaming of fans already outside.

"Your grandma was a photographer, and a writer. She wasn't a trained vocalist, but when she married your Grandpa, she went everywhere with him, and she was on stage with him. Always. She was part of his group."

"Oh, for Pete's sake, are you talking about Shawna? She was too trained. She had experience. She'd been in high society her whole life."

"She---- was a groupie."

"She was not a groupie!" We exited the bus and Rafe was drawn to one side instantly for pictures—he only did one--- and autographs--- he did only one--- and he waved and we went inside.

Rafe's hand on the small of my back ushered me instantly to the elevator, even though I would have taken the stairs. We got on together and turned around to find Jeremy and Levi, Ben and Mutt and Jeff right with us. Nobody was talking, and I realized they'd been listening to our conversation.

"Can I ask you something?" Jeremy finally said, looking somewhat sheepish. Rafe's eyes simply turned his direction. "Rafe, you pull Aubrey on stage like that and sing a song she didn't know, and how did you know you could do that? Wouldn't it have been better to ask her ahead of time?"

"Do you think that's what we're talking about?" Rafe snorted. All eyes turned to him. "She's got more performer blood in her little finger than the rest of us combined. When I talk about her Grandpa pulling his wife onstage with him--- I'm talking about Ray McCaffrey, guys."

Jeremy's eyes slid to mine. He took in the features, the hair, the skin tone--- and it clicked for him. "Dang, girl, you're Tracy's daughter."

There was laughter all around, from the guys who already knew it. Nothing needed to be explained. My grandfather, Ray had been in the most famous rock and roll band of all time--- his sales with the band still topped the charts. Even though it had been fifty years ago, and their band had broken up forty years ago, and David was dead, and Duncan was dead. It was just Grandpa and Trask Wilkie.

My mother--- well it went without saying. She was still performing. The guys had probably grown up hearing at least a few of her songs.

"But--- Rafe." Jeremy got over his shock pretty quick, because like my mom, I am just a girl, and I have that presence that keeps you calm. I'm a doctor, it's what I do.

"Yeah?"

"How did you know she'd be able to sing The Load Out with you? I barely even know that song. It's an old song. A really old song, and its classic Tiger Irwin."

"I knew she'd know it. Aubrey is an old soul, she would have known a Jackson Browne classic, she knows a lot of older music. Maybe more than I do. I've heard her humming it. And anyway, I know the Load Out, so if she had stumbled, I'd have kept singing."

"And she knew Stay."

"And it was smart of you guys to come down and jam with us." Rafe high-fived Jeff and Ben. Rafe and I could sing the falsetto parts of Stay, which was iconic--- not even a Tiger Irwin song---

The elevator doors opened, and rather than going to their rooms, the whole band, including me found the little sitting area near the corner of the balcony and sat down. We weren't finished with the conversation, nor were we ready to be separated. At least that's what I got from the looks on their faces.

"Why do you say she's an old soul?" Jeremy persisted, and I wondered if he was protecting me, and then I wondered if he had a crush on me. He'd better be careful. Too much interest would piss Rafe off.