A Lost Friend

Sarah crossed her room to get to her phone after a long shower. Her inbox read one voice mail from her old best friend Amanda. Sarah had stopped being friends with Amanda a month ago after she heard that she had sex with Sarah's boyfriend. Hesitantly Sarah listened to the voice mail.

"Sarah I need your help," it was Amanda's voice, but it sounded different than usual. "I'm sorry Sarah!" She cried softly. "I'm sorry I had sex with him and that I didn't apologize to you. It was stupid and I'm so sorry," Amanda's voice sounded like it had finally given in to everything and broke. "And I'm sorry I didn't apologize earlier, but you saw what happened! The word got out so fast." Sarah gulped and tried to blink away tears. "You knew what they were saying! They called me a slut, a whore, a skank. They wrote on my locker and told me I should kill myself! And I know you knew because everyone knew. And you still did nothing to help me. But why would you? I slept with your boyfriend and I'm so sorry. You are the only one I have left. My dad left us and my mom won't talk to me anymore. I don't know who, but someone told her. I'm so sorry Sarah. You're so pretty. You can get any guy you want and I'm so sorry! Someone told me to drink bleach. People want me to kill myself. I think I'm gonna do it. I just wanted to say goodbye first. I just wish you would have answered your phone, so you could talk me out of it, or say something that would give me a reason to live," Amanda gave off a small laugh while Sarah stood in tears and an open mouth. "You're still my best friend even if you don't forgive me, and you're the only one I told so if they want to know tell my parents I love them. I don't wanna go Sarah, but I have to." Sarah brought her hand up to her mouth as tears pored out of her eyes. "Just think of it, I'm gonna go out the same way Marilyn Monroe did except everyone loved Marilyn, and I figure it's quite the contrary for me. Goodbye Sarah you are the best friend I've ever had."

And with that the voice mail ended. Sarah gasped and searched her pockets with clammy fingers. Once her hands landed on her car keys she sprinted out the door. The drive to Amanda's house seem to take forever when it was only a two minute drive. Once she arrived Sarah jumped out of her car and ran to Amanda's door step. First she banged on the door then checked the door knob. The door swung open easily and Sarah ran inside into Amanda's bedroom. Amanda was sprawled out on her bed with a bottle of spilt pills next to her. Sarah rushed to her side and began to shake her back and forth.

"Wake up! Amanda you selfish bitch!" Sarah angrily slapped Amanda across the face and Amanda started to move. Slowly she rose to see Sarah.

With sleepy eyes Amanda whispered, "Sarah?"

Sarah sprang at Amanda and wrapped her arms around her "I hate you so much! Why would you ever think of killing yourself?" Sarah screamed.

"I'm sorry," Amanda whispered, "but-"

"No! This is the most selfish thing you have ever done! What would I do without you? Do you think you can throw your life away because of what some people say about you? You can never stop fighting, you hear me! Because you're the only friend that I have ever had and I need you more than you think! Just promise me never again, ok?"

Amanda sighed, "ya never again."