Chapter Fifty

Aiden sat next to Zariah in the helicopter, glancing out with window with a grim expression. The closer they got to Abree City, the more and more he dreaded his and Xylem's meeting with Orion and the Other Worlders. Virgil and Rania sat opposite to Aiden, where they'd been watching over Xylem for the duration of their flight. The former General's hands were securely fastened in their cuffs, and so far, Xylem hadn't uttered a word since they'd entered the helicopter.

Theo had also been silent for the entirety of the journey. Aiden hoped that he would abide by his promise and remain in the helicopter with Virgil and Zariah, but he had a lingering feeling that Theo might want to do something drastic in order to ensure that Aiden was safe. Hopefully Rania would be able to pacify him until Aiden and Xylem could return.

Well, if they could return.

"We're almost there," Theo spoke aloud for the first time in hours. "Probably ten minutes away at this point."

"Thanks, Theo," Aiden replied. He took a moment to stretch his legs while he pried his eyes away from the window. The clouds were a murky gray color, possibly foreshadowing what was to come. It seemed like a storm was brewing, and the symbolism couldn't have been any more ironic.

"You ready to move, princess?" Virgil glanced over at Xylem, nudging him roughly.

Xylem glared at Virgil, his lips thin. The light cast a dark shadow over the General's pale skin, making him look ghostly from where Aiden was sitting. Rania shifted uncomfortably in her seat, apparently getting the same effect. 

"You're all going to die," Xylem growled. "You know that, don't you?"

"That's enough from you," Zariah said sharply, eyeing him with her piercing blue stare.

Xylem flashed her a demented grin. "You're like the daughter I never had, Lieutenant Blanche. Don't worry, I'll behave."

Zariah rolled her eyes, leaning further back into her seat. Aiden instinctively reached for her hand, and she took it without hesitation.

Aiden could feel the helicopter descend, the gloomy clouds brushing past them the closer they got to the ground. After a few minutes, Aiden could begin to see the water surrounding Abree City's shores, the water dark and looming. Strange metal ships were docked in the ports, all of various sizes. Aiden also spotted various aircraft flying in and out of the city limits, presumably delivering more Eskium soldiers to their base. Aiden couldn't even imagine how many other port cities were like this. Abree City was merely the heart of a rapidly expanding beehive.

"Guys," Theo warned. "They see us."

Aiden's muscles flexed with a sudden burst of energy. Below them, he could just narrowly picture the hoards of Eskium soldiers clustering together beneath their helicopter, eagerly awaiting their arrival.

"Welcome to Eskium Base, Programmers," a voice greeted them, static crackling through the helicopter. "Don't even think about coming in here with weapons. Your two representatives are to leave all weapons behind with your comrades before they see the Supreme Leader. We'll be seeing you shortly."

Just three minutes later, Theo was touching down on one of the landing pads that the Other Worlders had prepared for them. The second they had landed, Aiden began passing all his weapons to Zariah, who reluctantly accepted them.

"You've got to at least keep one gun," Virgil urged him, scowling as Aiden handed Zariah a combat knife. "What happens when things get heated?"

Aiden shook his head firmly. "Imagine what they'd do if they found out I disregarded their warning about bringing weapons. I'll play by their rules, for now. If I don't, we'll be dead before I even get to meet with Orion."