Chapter 1 - Reality Ensues

Welcome everyone to yet another dark story of mine that I actually got inspiration from by current world events. I figured the racial/stereotype/political/ideological conflict happening in the world today would be a perfect backdrop for a similar story to be told in Zootopia; a world perfectly ripe for these kinds of stories. If anyone has read my first fanfic, Zelda's Honor and my continuing story of Fate Deceived, you'll know to expect the same quality and dark style of writing here. Zootopia was never originally intended to be another fanfic project for me, with Fate Deceived being my primary focus, but watching the movie sparked so many ideas and concepts that I had to take the strongest one and run with it. May you enjoy the ride with me.

=============================================================

Judy stopped in front of the locker mounted mirror, analyzing herself before the honest visage staring back. She rubbed her paw down along the three slender lines that were slightly visible if one looked for them beneath the fur that had sprung up around the wounds. A permanent testament to the idiocy of hate that had once claimed Gideon Grey, a fox back from the Burrows where she was born. She shook her head at the memory of it, what a long way they had come from childhood.

Resituating the spandex pants along her waist, she plunked the blue, bulky head guard around her ears, ensuring they slipped through the appropriate holes so as to not get squished under the weight of the thing. She strapped on the form fitting gloves, fastening the final strap around her wrist with her teeth before slapping them together in preparation for the training ahead. She took one last glance in the mirror; she truly did look like a formidable boxing opponent, regardless of her size.

She bounded out of the locker room amid tumultuous roars and animalistic cries. A variety of friends, fellow off-duty police officers, local citizens and a small entourage of Mr. Big's henchmen were in attendance. Her challenger was already in the ring and boosting up the crowd to fever pitch with his boasting. She barely had time to stop and wonder how this all happened, it seemed to have escalated so quickly.

The underground crime lord, Mr. Big, was a shrew of great importance in Tundra Town. Although he did some questionable dealings and operations, he never stopped giving his earnings and benefits of his profession back to the citizens of Zootopia, a city built with the premise of integration and cooperation of all mammals to live together as one in harmony. As much as Chief Bogo, her boss at the Zootopia Police Department (ZPD), wanted to put the little shrew behind bars, there was simply not enough direct evidence to link him to any of the white collar crimes throughout the city; not to mention instigating the ire of the local populace who loved Mr. Big for the good he had done within the community. He was untouchable.

Judy had just popped in for a visit to check on her good friend Fru Fru, Mr. Big's daughter, to see how her third litter of shrewlets was coming along. It seemed that poor woman didn't get a break from shooting out babies. Her first litter had already grown into adults and was inducted into the family business quite quickly and those who weren't interested were given glowing recommendations and free passes into whatever job tickled their fancy within Zootopia. It was a glorious time for the family.

At the time of her visit, one of his polar bear guards was watching a rather riveting internet video of one of his buddies beating the crap out of a brown bear cousin. He was sniggering and spouting knowledgeable tips on how he could do better than his friend when Judy poked her head up over his raised phone and began watching the clip.

"Well, I can see why." She commented, trying to remain blasé about the whole thing. "His stance is completely wrong and he's opening up his right flank for a side swipe. It's a good thing that brown bear can't fight well or your friend would be nurturing a really bad scratch!"