5

5

The scaffolding wasn't an option, and we weren't able to go back up the way we came, so there was no way to get to the roof. We spent the night in a different classroom on the second floor.

In the morning, the sun shining through the windows wakes me up. Only now do I realise this is my maths classroom. Sam rests beside me, breathing in and out softly, dead to the world.

I think about how just yesterday I was in this room. Not getting what the teacher was talking about. Waiting for my best friend to arrive. Dale teasing me. It feels like a million years ago.

The shadows on the wall flicker as the sun pokes through the tall trees outside the class. The blue sky reminds me of Monique's eyes, just after I stabbed her. For that split second she was herself. She saw me kill her. I must have looked like a monster.

The air is freezing. I see my breath when I exhale, and I wonder how many more people were killed over night. Guess I'll find out at sunset. If I even make it to sunset. No. I can't think like that.

I take one of the water bottles out of our bag and allow myself one sip. The water burns as it goes down my throat and I taste salt. Stupid tears, ruining my drink.

I smile as I think of the time me and my little brother dared each other to drink sea water on a holiday last year. I wonder if he's awake yet, or if he's worried about me. I wonder what he would think if he knew what was really happening. I wipe my cheeks.

I'm about to wake Sam up when I hear another person breathing. I look around and see a girl curled up in the corner of the room, fast asleep. She must have either been in here before us or came in sometime through the night. Either way, the girl hasn't noticed us.

She doesn't look like danger, but you can never be sure, so I slowly shake start to shake Sam. She wakes up with a gasp and I cover her mouth swiftly. Her eyes are wide as they dart around in shock. “Shhh,” I tell her quietly, pointing at the girl.

I take my hand away as Sam sits up, studying her.

“We have to go,” she says, standing up. I nod and grab our backpack. I realise I've left the zipper open too late, and one of the water bottles falls out and collides with the concrete.

The girl startles awake. When she spots us, she screams and covers her face with her arms, crying. “Don't hurt me! Please!” She's not a red-eye.

“We won't hurt you if you don't hurt us.” I'm surprised by how stern my voice sounds. That came out harsher then I intended.

The girl shakes her head.“I won't, I promise.”

Sam asks her if she's had any contact with soldiers or needles, and she declines. Good. She's in the clear. “What's your name?” I ask her. She looks up at me with big brown eyes that remind me of a puppy I had when I was a toddler. I think his name was Tye.

“Winter.”

“Well, Winter,” I say with a smile. I'm warming up to her. I think I recognise her from somewhere as well, but I can't be sure. “Want to come with us?” She nods eagerly.

“Good,” says Sam, with a glint in her eyes. “Because I have a plan.”

Sam closes the door, and we step out in to the chilly morning air. The sun has only just risen, so a lot of people will still be asleep. A gust of wind hits me and I smell the strong, distinct odour of smoke and something awful. Something dead.

“They must be burning the bodies,” I say, trying to get the image of a pile of teenagers roasting out of my head.

“Oh my God,” Winter says. We give her a minute to vomit in to a bin. I don't know if it's the best idea to bring her with us, since the plan Sam devised is not the safest, but she's too scared to stay behind.

After she's done, we start to go down the stairs. We crouch and move turtle pace, making sure we don't make a sound. I notice people in other classrooms sleeping. Why can they not sleep in their own beds in their own homes? I feel a wave of rage slice through me.

Once we're on the ground, things get tricky. From time to time someone will spot us, but they just look at us in fear or they run away. I start to think that maybe this won't be so hard after all.

However, when we get to the oval we stop in our tracks. Almost one hundred red-eyes surround the pile, marching around it like guards.

No. This will be very hard.