10

10

It's only when the bombings are over do I wake up. The fire still burns all around me, and the heat and smoke threatens to suffocate me. I turn my head to see the entire maths block collapse in on itself. I barely register what I'm seeing.

I look up and see the sky has gone completely red. I think the sound of the explosions have affected my ear drums as I can only hear a very loud ringing in my ears. I make myself sit up, and I see Dale on the ground, a burning trunk of tree lying upon his chest.

My eyes blur with tears when Sam comes in to view. A large pole sticks out of her chest. I scream, louder then I ever have before. I end up gurgling and then choking. Sam is dead. My best friend is gone.

I grab a hold of a nearby tree and pull myself to my feet. I ignore the excruciating pain in my back and I collapse beside her. I brush a loose strand of hair away from her face. “It's okay,” I whisper. “It's okay.”

You don't have to be in pain any more.

A racking fit of sobs attacks me. We were so close. She could have survived.

I slowly start to wipe my tears away. They bombed us. They said they'd let one of us win, but they lied. This must have been their plan all along.

I lean over Sam and give her a kiss on the forehead. Goodbye.

Then I bring myself to my feet. The gate has now been destroyed, and most of the soldiers are probably dead, but the mass amounts of fire makes it almost impossible to get out, so I walk around the perimeter.

Dead bodies lie everywhere. Students and soldiers. I'm shocked that I somehow survived. Why me?

I finally find a clear spot near the administration office, which is now completely destroyed too. I look over at the bodies that surround it and immediately spot the man who's been on the speakers. I know it's him as he's the only one with a white suit on. He has pale white hair and a beard, and burn marks seared all over his flesh.

I walk over to him and see a name on the embroidery. Raziel Snow. I look at him in pure rage. I hope your death was painful. Then I walk out of the gates.

The wound in my back slows me down, but I manage to make it to my home just as the sun rises. On the way there, I've seen every single house completely destroyed, so I shouldn't be surprised when mine is barely recognisable.

I have no more tears left, so I don't cry. Our house was only a few kilometres away, so my family was evacuated, but I still feel as if my heart as been ripped out of my chest. This was where I grew up. This was home.

Now it's ashes.

It's two weeks later when I finally encounter another human being. I've been living off of food and water I managed to find in people's houses, since everyone has left. I've just found a can of soup in someone's cabinet when I hear the car.

I sprint out of the house and run to where the sound is coming from. “Help!” I scream. “Please, help!” I run out on to the road and am almost hit by the army truck. They swerve out of the way and brake. I hold my breath, terrified that they'll take off.

A man around twenty steps out of the car. He has a nasty slash on his collarbone, and his eyes are not friendly. “Please help me,” I beg.

“Why would I do that?” His voice is gruff.

“I've been by myself ever since the town was bombed. I was being kept at my school and they were making us fight to the death.” My voice shakes. The man's eyebrows narrow. “Look, I've been through hell and back. I just need a ride-” He cuts me off.

“To where? To somewhere safe?” I nod. “Don't you realise? There is no where safe any more.” My stomach drops.

“What do you mean?” I say. He comes closer to me.

“Don't you realise what's been happening?” he asks me.

“Yeah, we were bombed and I can't get in contact with anyone-”

Everywhere was bombed. We're in a world war. Australia is fucked. All the capital cities are ashes now. There is no one left to get in contact with.” I'm shaking. I say nothing.

“I'm surprised you're alive,” is the last thing he says before he gets in the car and drives off.

I continue to stare at where the the car left, even when he's gone. Even after all that I've been through, this rocks me more than anything. It's not just my town that was bombed. I'm not the only one that's suffered. It's the entire world.

It's World War III.

END OF BOOK ONE