Chapter 1

Rocky terrain, rough drive up, gurgling stomach. These were only some of the things bothering Skye at the moment. Victoria Reserve, 2 miles. She was not entirely fond of new places and unfamiliar faces. But she was forced to accept it, since that was the motive of her family. It was what her family has been doing since the first dawn. Maybe it did not start that early. But that's what it felt like. Family tradition. After their job there was done, there would be a new place for them to go to. She groaned in dismay at the thought of it. She could never afford to make any real friends, having to leave them all behind. Soon, she would have to take after the family 'business' or whatever they called it. Where could she find a decent guy, preferably someone she loves (who loves her back) who would be willing to join her as she lead the business? Nowhere.

The outline of the damp forests were painted with a thin layer of orange, giving them a sad glow. The trees grew tall and lean. Pale snow decorated the trees like sprinkles on an ice cream. Greenery seemed to go on for miles, on either side. It would be easy to get lost in such a place. The roads were not easily distinguished either. Their Range Rover growled as Richard drove over a hump. At least, that was what he hoped it was. The gravel beneath them crushed and grinded against the rubber tires. It sounded more like incessant cackling of fire crackers.

"It's the full moon tomorrow night, what're you guys doing?" Their pack leader spoke. His features were nothing like most werewolves'. The only common features were his unbelievably beautiful cheekbones and a jawline, so sharp it could slice a cake. But everything else about his was just plain cute. His button nose, deceiving eyes and his body. His body. It made girls go crazy. His shoulders were toned, not too much though. He was lean and tall, making it easier for him to travel, even as a werewolf. Being born one, everything was to his advantage. Sharp eyesight, lightning-speed reflexes, sensitive hearing. It was a blessing as much as it was a curse. Sure, he could do just about anything better than a normal being could. But being a lycanthrope was more dangerous than any other being.

"Just be careful, I don't need you killing anyone," Calum mentioned. It was his duty, obviously, to know the happenings in his pack. "Or expose yourself to anyone. It just isn't safe."

"Jayden's pack, what happened to them?" Michael decided to ask, totally changing rhe subject.

"Remember the young one, Megan?" Calum paused, letting the rest try to recall who she was. "She thought she was strong enough to go a full moon - her first - without the help of her Alpha. But she couldn't control herself, so she ran off into the night in full werewolf form. Hunters found her, killed her. Jayden's pack tried to save her. They managed to kill the hunters, but Jayden was the only survivor." The rest of the pack fell silent. "Jayden ran away, to somewhere new. Off to find a new pack." Michael and Luke glanced at Ashton, who was in his own little bubble.

"What?" Ashton said, shoked that they were staring at him. "Just because I'm the newest doesn't mean I'm going to lead you all to your death."

"You'll never know."

Skye sat on her new bed, slowly taking in the smell of her room. It was slightly pleasant, slightly murky. An odd mix. Her bedroom window overlooked the dense forestry. Nothing interesting there, she thought. Soon, she would have to leave this place.

"Skylar darling, help bring in the boxes please!" Her mother called out. Skye noticed the light echo of her mother's voice throughout the corridor. Skye raced down the stairs, almost bumping into her Dad with the huge box in his hands. She walked over to her mother by their car, the cold breeze too much for her to handle. "You start school next week."