Chapter 1

"Lilly bear wake up" I said lightly as I gently shook my blonde headed mess.

"Mommy do I have to?" She pressed her head even harder into the pillow. I smiled and laughed lightly at her.

"No you don't  have to unless you want to go to the shop and have pie." I stood up and slowly walked to the door waiting for her to realize what I said.

"Pie?" She jumped up out of bed and scrabbled to get her clothes on. "Come one mommy get dressed we have to get pie!"

I rolled my eyes and went to my room and got changed into my work clothes. Before I forgot, I called my mom saying that she didn't need to watch Lilly today. When I entered back into the living room Lilly had got dressed and to my surprise she was matching. "Are you ready Lilly?" She nodded smiling at me.

We got in my old beat up car and drove down to the cafe. When I got there no one was there. Lilly and I walked in. I was confused and Lilly just wanted pie.

"Lilly go sit down in that booth and I'll get your pie." She did as I told. I went back into the kitchen to find my boss. "Mandy, where is everyone?!"

"Gone!" She cried  "I'm closing down I have to move to be closer to my mom and I can't afford to keep it. I'm sorry Jamie I really am. I know how this is the only thing you can rely on to pay your bills. Since my dad died my mom can't take care of herself."

I stood shocked and trying to absorb that I had just lost my job. How will I pay my bills, my rent, how will I pay for food?! "It's ok Mandy I know you can't help it. Things come up. Can you help me find another job though?"

    "Of course Jamie, I think one my husbands friends are looking for someone to be a secretary. I'll give you his number." Mandy smile at me. My fate rests in Mandy's hands.