~ Eight ~

Clinton had dropped a note in my locker earlier explaining that he planned to stay in class during lunch to speak with the teacher. I had suspected he was having trouble, but mentioning it would be to imply that he wasn't good at everything. So I stopped in the hall to slide the ear buds on my ipod through my shirt to avoid having it confiscated by the lady who monitors the cafeteria. I stepped through the door and adjusted the volume to drown out the roar of chatter echoing through the room.

I went through the line to buy a bottle of water and then I took my usually seat. I dropped my brown paper lunch bag on the table in front of me and pulled out the first thing my fingers touched, a Tupperware bowl. Inside was an oddly delicious mixture of tuna, mayo, relish, and chicken flavored Ramon noodles that I had crunched into tiny pieces before boiling. I opened the pack of Ritz crackers and scooped up a big bite.

"Eww! WTF? Are you eating brains?" Kate was staring down her nose at the wiggly bunch of noodles on my cracker. "That's is some disgusting shiz, Zombie Freak."

Zombie Freak? That's a new one. I almost liked it. I scanned through my ipod for "Living Dead Girl" and started doodling my own versions of Monster High characters. I drew Kate as half minotaur and half toilet paper mummy. I scribbled the word bullshit under the sketch. I was drawing in the dotted divider lines on her paper pompoms when I felt the tiny speakers being tugged out of my ears.

"That's funny." It was Matt Milner. "I thought you couldn't draw?"

Malichi appeared from somewhere behind him. He glanced down at the notebook. I might have just been self conscious, but he didn't seem to like my attempt at art very much. I made a reflexive move to hide the page. Malichi's eyes followed my hand and I realized that he wasn't frowning at the picture, he was frowning at my ring.

"So....what is that you're eating?" Matt's voice held curiosity, not disgust.

"My uncle calls it Jack Mack."

"Like the prison slang?" He stole a cracker and shoveled a bite into his mouth

"Umm, probably...that's where he learned the recipe." I offered a sample to Malichi, but he said no thank you and went to sit at the other table.

"Figures, prison food tastes better than cafeteria food." He looked around as if he had just noticed his brother's absence. "I'll let you get back to your Rob Zombie now."

I waited a whole three minutes before glancing over at their table. They were glaring at each other with stoic expressions. I could see Malichi's mouth moving, but could only tell that he was trying to keep his voice low.