Chapter 6: The Rest Of Our Lives

"I'm no one's burden, you hear me!?"
-Armin Arlert

The next day, was the day that meant everything. Whether we stayed or not. I was nervous. I knew I could do it. I knew Armin could do it. I knew Mikasa could do it. But I still didn't know if Eren could do it. We'd practised long into the night, but he still couldn't fully master it.

"Eren Jaeger, are you ready?" Keith Shadis asked as he stood before Eren.

"Yes sir!" Eren shouted.

"Alright then. Proceed." Shadis instructed. Thomas began to wind the lever, pulling Eren up. For the moment being, Eren was doing fine. Everyone looked at him in anticipation.

Eren hung there. He was doing it. Everyone started cheering.

Until it happened. He feel forward.

My heart sunk. This was it. We were going to be separated. I didn't want to go through training without Eren and Mikasa with me. They'd been by my side through everything.

"No, not yet! Once more! I can do it!" Eren insisted, struggling around as he was suspended upside down in the air.

"Lower him." Shadis said sternly.

"I-I'm finished." Eren said, barely audible. He looked as if he were about to burst into tears. This was his dream. Gone.

"Wagner, please exchange belts with Mr Jaeger." Shadis said.

"Uh-Yes sir." Thomas nodded, taking off his belt and giving it to Eren. Eren put it on, and he was hoisted up. This time, Eren hung there without any trouble.

"Your equipment was defective. If given a piece of functional gear, you might not be completely useless after all. They didn't notice this broken clasp. I'm gonna have to visit the supply department and crack a couple skulls." Shadis said, holding Eren's broken belt.

"He still did it. Even while wearing that busted gear!" Another trainee said in amazement. Murmurs broke out, everyone in awe of Eren.

"S-So you mean, I can stay?" Eren asked, still in the air.

"You made the cut. Now keep training cadet!" Shadis yelled. Eren raised his hands in the air, shouting in victory.

"It seems like things worked out for him." Reiner commented.

"Look, his eyes are saying 'check me out'." Armin grinned.

"They're not." Mikasa disagreed. Armin, Bertholdt, Reiner and I turned to her, wondering what she meant.

"His eyes are saying he doesn't have to leave me. Not anymore." Mikasa smiled.

IMPORTANT NOTE: for the rest of this chapter, any use of italics will be from A THIRD PERSON POV. Seeing as this is written around the training and Trost arc, I decided to include the character evaluations. So any italics in this chapter ARE NOT from Aria's POV. Thank you.

Two years progressed, and the four teens stuck to their training. The four of them all equally progressed. Armin's mind grew more intelligent. Mikasa blossomed as a talented soldier in every aspect. Eren continued to thrive on his determination. And Aria, she continued to fight.

"Pick up the pace, you lazy children!" Shadis yelled from his horse. Us remaining trainees were walking through the muddy forest, it pouring down with rain. "Boots waterlogged Arlert?"

I turned around, to see Armin trailing behind, out of breath. We were all carrying heavy packs, and we'd been walking for hours, which didn't make it any easier.

"Gear too heavy for you son? Drop it! Leave it in the mud! The Titan's will have an easier job at eating you without all the excess baggage." Shadis commented, before riding forward and leaving Armin. I started to slow down a bit, so I could encourage Armin and keep him company. Then I noticed Reiner actually turn around and go help him.