Chapter 1

Emily's POV

New York. Such a beautiful city. I am one of the many lucky people that get the privilege of living and working here. To me the greatest thing about New York is that you can never be alone. Everywhere you look there are people and no matter where you are you can hear them. The housing and living opportunities are also a great aspect of living in New York. I live with my close group of friends in a cosy 4 bedroom apartment. There are three of us in total. Nathan is probably my closest friend; I've known him since kindergarten and we have basically grown up together. He works as a bartender at one of the busiest pubs around, this of course is not permanent, he only works there because he was fired from his old job as the business grew closer to bankruptcy. Then there is Kelsey. She is a model, a very good one I might add. We meet in high school and spent our last few years there, she was also my flatmate when we left. The last one is obviously myself. Now I work for the NYPD mostly as an undercover officer. I have worked there for about 4 years now and I am trying really hard to get the great promotion of becoming part of the Major Crimes team.

"Em!!" I roll my eyes and chuckle as Kelsey throws herself onto me. Luckily, I saw it coming and I wrap my arms around her in a tight hug. She has always been like this; overly excited to see me. We have become a lot closer recently. Well, ever since her sister went missing and she came to me for help. We did get her back though and it was just the small case of not feeling welcomed in the home any longer, so she ran away.

"Hey Kels, how are ya?" I smile and pull her off me before dumping my things on the couch and plonking down next to them.

"Pretty good thanks! Coffee?" I grin and nod. I swear she knows me too well. Anyway I have the weekend off since I just finished a case, so I plan on surprising my friends with a small road trip. I think Nathan will love this and I can't wait till he gets home.

I watch as Kels makes my coffee and decide to go change out of my work clothes. While in my room I hear our appartment door squeak open. Only a few moments later, I hear a grunt and a thump. I chuckle and shake my head, thinking to myself, "Well Nathan must have had a rough day."

Once I'm finished changing, I head back out to grab my coffee and chat with my friends.

"Hey Nath, rough day today?" I chuckle as I exit my room. Only, I got no reply. Kelsey was no longer in the kitchen, Nathan's room still hasn't been entered, and our apartment door was wide open.

"Kelsey...this isn't funny stop messing around..." Looking to the bench, I see my coffee sitting there untouched and steaming. I walk over to it and my eyes widen when I see a small puddle of blood on the floor by the sink. There was also dark, red hand smears on the wall where it looked like someone struggled to walk out and used the wall as a type of support.

I stormed over to my duffel bag and grabbed my gun, a Glock 22, my work weapon. Deciding to see if there was any trail that could lead me to my best friend, I cautiously exit my apartment and walk down the steps onto the pathway. As I walk further I start to see small drops of gleaming blood every few strides. Once I reach the end of my street it just stops completely. I look down the road and I sigh when there isn't anything accept tyre marks.

I turn back and head toward my apartment as calmly as I can. Once back in, I grab my radio and call it in to my team. I look down to my lap where my hands lay, shaking as I waited for them. To say I was worried would be an understatement. What the hell was going on...?

_____________________

Hey my lovely readers!! This is a brand new book of mine, inspired by some work I have been doing at school. I will try post as frequently as I can. It may get a little gruesome in some parts so I will put a warning above the chapter if you continue to read. Thank you and don't be afraid to hit the follow button for more books.

Kate xoxo