Chapter 4: Sad times turn into happy times

Once I wake up, I feel horrified. It's probably because of what happened yesterday, or I slept terribly. I think I should spend some time with my real friends. Which I don't have, I really only have Felicia, and Elliot is in Canada. I head downstairs, sit down patiently, and close my eyes pretending that nothing happened. "Emma, I have a surprise for you." Says Dad and I flash open my eyes. I immediately search for what he has for me. "Remember that graduation surprise your mother and I had in store for you?"
"Yes!" I squeal and sit up waiting restlessly for my surprise.
"Well here it is." Dad says and he gives me the computer. I was a bit disappointed but who knows what it'll be. I open an email and it's from...who? It reads

Dear Emma Fannings, you have been accepted into the planetary scientist of NASA.

Your trial will begin in two weeks.

We, the NASA board, are excited to have you on our team.

From, NASA.

"What does this mean?" I ask.
"What do you mean what does it mean?" Says Dad "Emma, you're in NASA." I'm completely shocked. You usually have to be at least a university graduate to be accepted. I never heard of  someone who is eighteen and about to join NASA. I  haven't even gone to Georgetown University yet!
"This is a prank. It has to be." I say "I'm too young to be in NASA."
"You want to go, don't you? Don't you remember that we have a connection to the owner of NASA?" He asks and I actually consider this offer.
"So, how am I supposed to go to Georgetown University and do NASA?
"Don't worry. I spoke to your future reporting manager and she made the arrangements that you can go to NASA and Georgetown University."
"Okay. I really hope I can pull this off."
"Emma, you'll be fine. You need to get your bachelor's degree, masters degree, and to be assigned a payload specialist."

If I got into Georgetown University like two days ago, then I would be celebrating with Ashley and she would probably tell me to celebrate in her hot tub, or tell me to go to a party. Or I might go on a romantic date with Chase. But neither of those things are happening. I don't really have friends around here, I only really have my sister. Hopefully I meet new, loyal friends at the NASA training camp. I can't wait to experience this wonderful opportunity, but how I'm feeling now is nowhere near the feeling I imagined. I feel overwhelmed, but that's not going to stop me. Sometimes, you have to push the limits and get the best resources you can to get to get where you need to go. Apparently, my resource happened to be my grandfather having connections with the owner of NASA.

"Emma, one more thing." Dad says as he enters my room.
"Yes?"
"You do know you have to move to Washington DC right?"
"But I'm eighteen." I say stating the obvious. "Aren't I supposed to be living on campus?"
"No, you're part time. Don't worry honey we'll pay for your rent for a year and then you'll take on the financial responsibility. I'm not sure if you get paid on the training team, or at least I don't think so. So you might need to get a job to help pay rent."
"That's a lot to juggle. Can't you  just pay for a condo?" Dad takes a while to consider what I said and he finally comes to a conclusion.
"We'll look at purchasing a house,  but if we can't find anything near Georgetown University, then we're renting."
"What? That doesn't make sense."
"We have to. Also, I can't guarantee you'll have a  mansion. You might have a space the size of your bedroom. But don't sweat it."
"Okay, fine. When are we moving?"
"We'll leave in two weeks. The training team starts in August."
"Alright." I say and Dad leaves the room, when he has one step out the door, he looks back at me and says
"Emma, this is a big responsibility. If you're missing classes, which you will, you'll need to study a lot and be efficient with your time. It's a lot of pressure. So whenever you're feeling uneasy, don't hesitate to call us. Okay?"
"Yeah." I say and finally Dad leaves the room. Dad's right, it is a big responsibility. I can't afford to mess up. I really need to up my game and need to be spot on. This is just another reminder how crazy life is. I get a phone call from an unknown number, since I always answer my phone, I don't care who it is. "Hello?"
"Hey Emma, it's Elliot." I couldn't breathe after I heard who it was. I don't have the heart to tell him about Ashley.
"Oh, hi."
"Ashley broke up with me. I just need someone to talk to." I guess I don't have to tell him anyway.
"I'm so sorry."
"You're her best friend, why did she break up with me? Was she not feeling us anymore?" Scratch that.
"I was really hoping I didn't have to tell you, but Ashley cheated on you."
"What?"
"I think that's the reason why she broke up with you. I caught her, and now she must feel bad about it."
"Who did she cheat on me with?" I hesitate on answering that question. Should I tell him? Or maybe he shouldn't know?
"Chase."
"Your boyfriend Chase?"
"My ex boyfriend. Yeah, I didn't really have the heart to tell you though."
"Okay." He says devastated. I totally understand how that feels. "Do you have any  good news for me?"
"Yeah, actually. My Dad actually got me into NASA."
"Really?" Elliot says excited "that's amazing. You don't sound nearly as excited as I do. What's up?"
"Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked. But, it doesn't feel right."
"Emma you deserve it. You worked so hard for it."
"Thanks. But I have to move to Washington D.C to go to Georgetown University because I need a diploma. Then I might need to rent a house."
"Can't you buy the house?"
"Yeah, but Dad says if it's too far I need to rent. So I'm hoping it's closer. Plus I need money to buy groceries and stuff like that."
"Oh, okay. But still, you should still buy a house. That's a lot pressure."
"Yeah I know. They expect me to be this perfect, sweet little angel that can survive in this crazy world."
"You'll survive. This world is full of unexpected twists and turns. Always expect the unexpected."
"Yes, preach. Hey I need to go and pack."
"When are you leaving?"
"In August."
"It's the first of July!"
"Yeah I know. But it's just so ugh. I need to be as prepared as possible."
"See? Alrighty. I got to get going, my mom says that we have to go celebrate."
"Celebrate what?"
"Canada day." He says "I don't know where but we are."
"Um, it's today?"
"Yeah duh! I'm kidding I didn't know either."
"Okay." I say and I hang up. Then lay back in my bed.

I hear a knock on my door and I suddenly jump. I turn to see it's Felicia and she's wearing a fancy dress. I wonder where she's going.
"Hey Emma. Dad told me the good news congrats."
"Thanks. Where you heading to?"
"You know that Jack guy I talk to sometimes?"
"Yeah." Okay, funny story. So Jack and Felicia were best friends since they were in kindergarten and till this day people still think that they're dating. But they're actually not. People these days just don't think it's possible for a girl and a guy to be friends without dating. This generation kills me.
"So, Jack told me about two hours ago that he set me up on a blind date. So I asked if I had to find him a date and he said no because he already had one. So I'm off on a date with a guy I don't know. We're going to a dinner and a movie."
"Oh wow!" I say but as I say it, it kills me. "Have fun."
"Thanks. See you later." She says and walks out the door. Her saying that killed me because it makes me miss Chase even more. I think I'm forcing myself to move on too quickly. I have to talk to Chase and maybe Ashley. Maybe I did get the wrong idea. I don't even know, or think so. Because if I did get the wrong idea, Ashley would've just told me. I don't even know anymore. All I know is the feeling I have isn't anywhere near the feeling I thought I would. Wow, this is so surreal that my head is spinning too fast, too quick. I just need to be back on Earth.