October 12th

Honestly, it had less to do with wanting to continue it and more to do with the fact I was bored. I was bored enough that even doing my homework was an attractive option. I am glad I’m not the only one who was nerdy enough to write on the weekends. Though of course if the other person was Kevin, it’s just going reaffirm the fact that we’re the weirdo pair.

            Leah closed her diary and slipped it into her backpack as the bus slowed again. She leaned around Kevin so she could see out the window and nodded. The next stop was the one they wanted. She glanced at her partner and shook her head. His nose was hovering only an inch from the glass of the window, his eyes flicking back and forth rapidly as he looked at everything.

            “Keep that up and you’ll fog the glass,” she told him, resting back against her seat.

            “This is my first time in one of these vehicles. It is most fascinating,” he replied, not turning away as the bus pulled away from the curb and trundled onward.

            “Proof again that you are weird beyond belief. Riding the bus isn’t fascinating. It’s boring and annoying to most people. If my parents hadn’t both had to work today, I’d have been able to drive us.”

            “I enjoy this. I am glad you understand the patterns of these vehicles and the timing behind them.”

            Leah rolled her eyes. “There’s a schedule of times and stops at every bus stop. It’s not hard to figure out,” she said. Feeling the bus slow, she grabbed his arm. “C’mon, this is our stop.”

            The faint whine she could hear coming from the back of his throat made her sigh. “We have to ride it back so it’s not like you won’t be able to study it more. Now hurry up or we’ll miss the stop.”

            He followed her, glancing wistfully back at the blue fabric of their chairs as they hopped out of the grey and black bus. She pulled him along behind her as he watched the bus drive off, nearly tripping as she dragged him up the curb. Eventually he turned himself around and she let him go so he could walk beside her on his own.

            It didn’t take them more than five minutes to get to the park in the centre of the eastern subdivision. “Here,” Leah said, gesturing towards the park, the swings and slide already covered in children. “Does this look like one of the places your cousin liked at home?”

            He frowned and stepped forward, studying the smooth expanse of grass, the sand surrounding the play structures, the four gardens, the young trees that dotted the grass and the two picnic table standing side by side under the only big tree, a tall elm. He frowned and shook his head. “It does not look the same.”

            She sighed. “Well there’s a bunch of kids here so we might as well look around. We might get lucky or one of the kids will know something.”

            They hadn’t gotten farther than the second tree in when a shout made them turn. A figure waved at them from the far left garden. Leah exchanged a look with Kevin, then shrugged and walked over. After a few dozen steps she recognized the figure and smiled. He waited until they reached him before saying, “I’m surprised to see you two here.”

            Leah shook her head. “What are you doing here?”

            Sam grinned. “Doing my volunteer hours. I weed the gardens in the parks near my place. Now what are you two doing here?”

            “Looking for Kevin’s cousin. Why are you weeding gardens as your volunteer work?”

            He laughed. “Because I know how to do it. My mom loves flowers but has the blackest thumb I’ve ever seen. I eventually took over the gardening at my house just to give the poor plants a chance. Besides, I like doing it. So you’re looking for Kevin’s cousin? You know, you two still haven’t given me anymore of an explanation beyond the magic is real and there are people trying to kill Kevin.”

            She looked at Kevin, who was staring at her, and sighed. “Well if you have time now, so do we.”

            He nodded, pulling the gloves off his hands as he dropped onto the grass. “I’d like to ask why are people trying to kill Kevin? I mean, I doubt he’s done anything to deserve it, but I’d still like to know.”

            This time she didn’t even bother looking at Kevin. She knew he’d just stare at her until she explained. “It’s all got to do with his cousin. See his cousin is sort of like…well I guess a prince would be the best explanation. His mom died giving birth to him and his dad was killed in an attack. He was apparently hurt and/or drugged and escaped here so we’re looking for him. Now, cause of their traditions, Kevin’s his cousin’s guardian because he’s the oldest cousin on the kid’s dad’s side.”

            Sam frowned and rubbed the end of his nose. “So people are trying to kill him cause he’s like the regent for this kid?”

            Leah nodded. “Something like that. That and he’s the one looking for him and the other people are also looking for him. They’re all relatives of his grandfather and they’re trying to put one of them in as guardian. It’s kind of like a race for whichever group will find the kid first. Speaking of which, you haven’t seen a kid wandering around here, looking very lost and scared have you? He’d probably talk like Kevin does too.”

            He shook his head. “Can’t say that I have. I’ll keep an eye out though. I can ask some of the kids in the parks I weed at too. One of them might know something.”

            She smiled. “That’d be great. Thanks.”

            He returned the smile. “No problem. I already said I’d help find the kid and now that I know there are other people after him, it just makes me want to help him more. The kid’s got to be pretty traumatized.”

            Leah sighed. “I’m thinking so too. Kevin?”

            He looked at her, pupils wide-slits, and almost halfway expression between his usual and his serious one. “We must find him. I worry it takes, the more damage will be done to him.”