Chapter 2: C.O.R.E

All Rights Reserved.

Double Life - Chapter Two: C.O.R.E

C.O.R.E.

Otherwise known as the Cadence Operation Reavers of the Evenfall, it was founded by Serene Wesley, one of the legends in the black-ops world several decades ago when it seemed as if the underworld would tear itself apart and take everyone down with them. Some had scoffed, a few cautious and others wondering what would happen with its formation. Suffice to say, those who had been cautious had been right to be.

C.O.R.E operatives had swept through the underworld like a literal hurricane, full of force and terrifying power as they left none standing in their way of restoring equilibrium. The message had been clear -

Either they behaved, or there would be intervention.

And nothing would stop them into wiping them out the next time.

It was for good reason that C.O.R.E's field agent test had a 20% passing rate, after all.

--------------------------

I blew a loose strand of hair from my face as Ren and I strode down the corridor, nodding to those who I knew. Ren, on the other hand, greeted with a smile and a wave.

"Wolf!"

That was another thing about C.O.R.E. Field agents were usually called by their code-names, medics "doctor" and so on. It was a way of detaching our personal and professional identity from the other, to say the least.

"Doctor," I acknowledged with an incline of my head to the approaching woman.

Dr. Seinhart was the head of the neurological department. Highlights of crimson stood out in her short blonde hair as she smiled crookedly. No one knew her actual age, the question being often deflected with an amused look and 'innocent' threats. If I recalled right, Fox had asked her once about it before and he never did again.

Apparently, she didn't like being asked that question. Go figure.

"It's been awhile. You haven't been by the med bay for some time," her coffee brown eyes flashed merrily. "That's a record."

I snorted, shooting a glare at Ren who had burst out laughing.

"Good to see you're doing alright. Do drop by for a chat sometime," she patted my shoulder before making her way to who-knows-where. I wasn't surprised. She was one the head doctors, after all.

Before Ren could say anything, I spoke.

"Not a word, Ren. Not. A word."

He clamped his mouth shut, making a zipping motion across.

Well, at least it was a small victory.

---------------------------

"Excuse me?"

A slightly disbelieving voice sounded, inciting an inward sigh from me and a nod from Ren.

We were currently in our boss's office.

Walls were in simple black-and-white tones. A stack of papers sat together with a fancy desktop that he often claimed came from hell to torture him with its grandness on a polished oakwood desk. Behind the desk was a black leather chair and a few cabinets. On the left wall was a couple of landscape paintings and framed vintage photos, the other left blank - though furniture was placed; a small coffee table and an L-shaped couch.

Yeah. A couch.

Presently, Ren and I were sitting on the couch. Our boss, on the other hand, had been rummaging through one of the cabinets when we made our entrance after knocking and was thus now facing us, an expression of disbelief on his face.